Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

I watched the Astros TV broadcast tonight in my market (TX/DFW area).  The Houston announcer duo of Kalas and ex/MLer Geoff Blum are really a joy to listen to. Fantastic at their jobs. Very complementary of the Os and the young core, even mentioning Elias and Sig a couple of times. The nerve of them, right? 😅

Anyhow, late in the game, Kalas made mention of the lack of being swept over the last 75 series since Adley was called up. 

Blum took that and ran with it and said, “Oh, I thought you were gonna say they haven’t lost a series since Kevin Brown started announcing for them.”  HILARIOUS!! 😂🤣

The Astros have an interesting organization and presentation to the fans. They even put cheerleaders on the dugouts.

22 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The Astros have an interesting organization and presentation to the fans. They even put cheerleaders on the dugouts.

I’ve seen that!  I don’t really follow or know much about them, just watch to a few games a year when the Os aren’t playing.  I have been to handful of games at Minute Maid. Pretty unique place.

I know way more about the Rangers since they’re local and I go to several games each year as a baseball fan - for instance when the Angels are in town so I can watch Ohtani/Trout. I got to see Gunnar hit his 1st HR this year and Grayson make his debut too. Even was able to get down to the locker room area post game and meet him afterwards, which was pretty cool. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Hear, hear. Folks haranguing MASN for having some form of brand/dress code are being way over the top. There's nothing wrong with it. That said - forcing employees to buy their own O's merch is asinine (if true). That should be reimbursed and/or provided by the team. 

Having a dress code is fine. Insisting on team gear vs any other reasonably professional dress is a silly bit of unnecessary micro-managing that isn't accomplishing whatever it is that whoever thought it up thinks it's accomplishing. Someone thinks they're being detail-oriented, but they're really just meddling to no effect. It's not a travesty on its own, but it fits into a larger pattern of foolishness. 

7 hours ago, deward said:

Having a dress code is fine. Insisting on team gear vs any other reasonably professional dress is a silly bit of unnecessary micro-managing that isn't accomplishing whatever it is that whoever thought it up thinks it's accomplishing. Someone thinks they're being detail-oriented, but they're really just meddling to no effect. It's not a travesty on its own, but it fits into a larger pattern of foolishness. 

I'm not sure I get this. Having a policy that says the on-air talent wear Orioles gear is no different than any other business requiring some sort of uniform. I would love it if I could wear Orioles shirts/jerseys and hats to work. I'm really not seeing the issue...

1 hour ago, ledzepp8 said:

I'm not sure I get this. Having a policy that says the on-air talent wear Orioles gear is no different than any other business requiring some sort of uniform. I would love it if I could wear Orioles shirts/jerseys and hats to work. I'm really not seeing the issue...

A dress code should serve a purpose. A Best Buy employee wears a blue polo shirt so that the customer can easily identify them. Asking your on-camera talent to show up dressed professionally, rather than looking like they just rolled out of bed, makes them presentable to your audience. Asking Jim Palmer (for example) to wear an O's polo rather than a suit, even if he would have preferred the suit, doesn't serve any purpose. Adding extra rules where they aren't needed and don't accomplish anything useful is always a sign of bad leadership.

10 minutes ago, deward said:

A dress code should serve a purpose. A Best Buy employee wears a blue polo shirt so that the customer can easily identify them. Asking your on-camera talent to show up dressed professionally, rather than looking like they just rolled out of bed, makes them presentable to your audience. Asking Jim Palmer (for example) to wear an O's polo rather than a suit, even if he would have preferred the suit, doesn't serve any purpose. Adding extra rules where they aren't needed and don't accomplish anything useful is always a sign of bad leadership.

Is it any different than the NFL not letting head coaches wear suits on the sidelines?

The purpose is to try and build the brand.

I disagree with the decision but it could theoretically be called useful. 

10 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Looks like the impacts of Palmer having covid will linger into the west coast trip. Hopefully Brown and Mcdonald will be back on TV at least.

I heard a bit of the radio broadcast while driving home last night.  As always, Melewski is quite good at the job, except that he doesn’t have a great radio voice.  His actual call of the game is very professional, especially considering how rarely he does it.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I heard a bit of the radio broadcast while driving home last night.  As always, Melewski is quite good at the job, except that he doesn’t have a great radio voice.  His actual call of the game is very professional, especially considering how rarely he does it.  

I listened to the game on the radio last night. I actually really enjoyed his call. Very good play by play.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A few years ago in spring training, Melewski did a bunch of "radio" games by himself, live streamed on the O's web site, and I really enjoyed listening to him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Steve is a good PBP guy he just tends to be very homerish which is par for the course w orioles broadcasts.