Orioles Claim Jacob Webb

oriolediehard

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Baseball Savant says

4 seamer       .197 batting average against   speed 94.9

Change up     .167 batting average against   speed 85.9

Sweeper         .231 batting average against   speed 83.9

How did this guy get to the O's on waivers?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jacob-webb-657097?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Walks.  It’s about as simple as that.  Plus, the Angels are very bad at evaluating talent. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I saw Voth in a rehab game at AAA.   Couldn't get out of the 1st.  Hopefully he gets better.

Well, his second outing obviously was better.  13 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 outs.  I can’t remember how to access Statcast data from AAA games, though I know it can be done.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm not looking forward to this guy pitching with the game on the line.  I guess he could be better than Voth, which is a very low bar.

We do need guys to pitch in Garbage Time and Huge Lead time too, and guys who can eat those innings instead of having to waste our high leverage guys on them are needed contributors.

Fuji had 30 walks in 49.1 IP with Oakland before the O's traded for him this year.  His WHIP was 1.662.

Webb has had a problem with homers but his batting average against has been great in May, June and July.   He had one bad outing in August where he gave up 3 runs in 2 innings.   No doubt the O's see something here.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=webbja01&year=2023&t=p

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

We do need guys to pitch in Garbage Time and Huge Lead time too, and guys who can eat those innings instead of having to waste our high leverage guys on them are needed contributors.

Unfortunately those garbage time guys end up pitching in high leverage situations when the rest of the bullpen is depleted.  Case in point, Irvin who is an explosion waiting to happen.  He pitched the 8th inning a couple of days ago in a close game.  You can't go to Cano and Bautista in every game.

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Interesting. Out of options so somebody has to go down, presumably Krehbiel. 

Results are bad but Stuff+ loves him. 114 overall with a 130 fastball. Bautista’s fastball is 133, for comparison. Webb’s fastball is 91st percentile spin and 72nd percentile velo. 

Seems like a guy worthy of taking a flier on to see if you can tweak something. He has an issue with walks and despite the great fastball data he throws less than 50% fastballs, so seems like an obvious first step is just to increase the fastball usage. 

Unusual move for a first place team to snag an out of options guy off waivers who has struggled, but I’m intrigued by any arm the Orioles bring in with this kind of profile. 

Kudos to CaptainRedBeard for projecting Krehbiel  being sent down an hour ago.  He looks like the logical choice.