Astros series

Just Regular

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

JustRegular really should write a book. He could give Roger Angell a run for his money. I would read it. 

I agree about the book. At the same time, Angell was also the fiction editor for the New Yorker and there's no way he'd have accepted a typical JustRegular piece!

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

He's actually pretty right.  The crowd tonight will only reinforce it.  Of course, under a different owner, he just might get suspended indefinitely for saying such a foolish thing, right?

He's not right. It's not even the biggest series the O's have played in August and it's only August 8th.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well it is now. The stakes keep getting higher. 

I dunno, I feel as though the Rays and Jays series at the very least (and maybe the Yanks series as well) were bigger than this one. 

It’d be cool to roll the champs, don’t get me wrong. But a 3-game set against a non-division opponent just doesn’t have massive October implications for me. I can see why they might feel that they’re the big fish circled on every team’s calendar — but I think for us, we’re in the middle of a period where the intensity level has ratcheted down a bit from it was a couple weeks ago.

28 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

I think 2 of 3 in Houston and a 4 game split at home. 

Yes, the Orioles won the season series 4-3 last year and in 2021 they split 3-3 as the O's had a very unlikely sweep in Houston. Will the Houston broadcasters be allowed to say that the Astros haven't won the season series against Baltimore since 2019?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

If Grayson is on he can shut down anyone.  Then this will probably end up being another bullpen game.  

For 5 2/3 😇

I do love watching him pitch and his personal caddy (McCann) will guide him.

This is a big series in terms of seeing how we stack up.

I think the three best teams in baseball are the Braves, Dodgers, and Astros. Not just because of their roster talent and 2023 production but also their pedigree. I think there's a good chance you have to get past two of those clubs.

Against the Braves and Dodgers, we're a combined 2-4. At that pace and in a seven-game series, we would lose in six. One reason why I didn't want to sell out at the deadline is because I didn't think there was any move this team could make to turn losing in six to winning in seven. That's at least a two-game swing, which no trade is going to give you.

This series might give us another data point.

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

This is a big series in terms of seeing how we stack up.

I think the three best teams in baseball are the Braves, Dodgers, and Astros. Not just because of their roster talent and 2023 production but also their pedigree. I think there's a good chance you have to get past two of those clubs.

Against the Braves and Dodgers, we're a combined 2-4. At that pace and in a seven-game series, we would lose in six. One reason why I didn't want to sell out at the deadline is because I didn't think there was any move this team could make to turn losing in six to winning in seven. That's at least a two-game swing, which no trade is going to give you.

This series might give us another data point.

A 6-game sample size in no way is enough to make trade deadline decisions