Hicks and Mullins back this week…what happens with the roster?

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser also has had some bad luck and his OPS should probably be an another 100-150 points higher and while that is still not good, it looks a lot better and maybe people wouldn’t be crying about it so much.

Yes, I agree with this.  He’s hit in some bad luck at times.  

21 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

The point isn't really about the numbers. It's about there being a period of adjustment that Cowser hasn't finished yet.

This is no time for lengthy “periods of adjustment “ .. sorry, we have a division to win.  He has not performed… period.  Rationalize it, explain it as adjusting whatever… we need someone that can at least get a hit occasionally 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

This is no time for lengthy “periods of adjustment “ .. sorry, we have a division to win.  He has not performed… period.  Rationalize it, explain it as adjusting whatever… we need someone that can at least get a hit occasionally 

Is there time for allowing a declining vet to play awful defense?  Or what about trying a SS out in CF? Or trying a guy with a career of being wild and lacking command and putting him in key spots?

What about pushing guys way past their career high max IP?

What about young guys playing their first 162 game schedule?

Where exactly are you drawing the line here?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

SG summed it up very well but I've said this in another reply on this board.

We're making the playoffs no matter which of these guys are playing. Let Cowser get through his adjustment period and his potential to contribute in the playoffs is greater than McKenna/Mateo/Hicks. I have zero faith that McKenna or Mateo will contribute anything in the playoffs when we're seeing the best. Hicks, I have a little faith because he's a vet with experience so he might get lucky. All 3 are scrubs and have no business getting playing time on this team.

If an OF goes down then Cowser comes up. If an IF goes down than Ortiz comes up. It’s looking like Holliday or Benboom will be our September call up position player. Cowser and Ortiz as of now, both will have ROY eligibility for next year. Cowser replaces Hicks. Ortiz replaces Frazier. 

Enjoy the winning. 

23 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

We're making the playoffs no matter which of these guys are playing. Let Cowser get through his adjustment period and his potential to contribute in the playoffs is greater than McKenna/Mateo/Hicks. I have zero faith that McKenna or Mateo will contribute anything in the playoffs when we're seeing the best. Hicks, I have a little faith because he's a vet with experience so he might get lucky. All 3 are scrubs and have no business getting playing time on this team.

I think this is where I am too. 

I am suspicious of Hicks providing much value from here on out and I really don't want McKenna or Mateo up in a big spot. I suppose by this logic it seems I want Cowser up in a big spot over all these guys and while I see how that seems odd given his performance so far, it might still be true. He could have 7+ weeks to get there. 

He was on deck after O'Hearn's game-ending called third strike against the Astros Tuesday night. Was really hoping he'd have a chance in that situation for experience.

30 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Yes, but the difference between making the playoffs and winning the division is big. We are this close, let's hold this lead!

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is there time for allowing a declining vet to play awful defense?  Or what about trying a SS out in CF? Or trying a guy with a career of being wild and lacking command and putting him in key spots?

What about pushing guys way past their career high max IP?

What about young guys playing their first 162 game schedule?

Where exactly are you drawing the line here?

At a .117 /.420 OPS in a kid who is clearly pressing in a pennant race and risking his future development because of some misguided thoughts about “adjusting “ 

41 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I am not a fan of Mateo or McKenna except in limited roles  ..Cowser has little use sitting behind Mullins ..  I think that Cowser’s confidence is down, the pressure is getting to him and to place your expectations in him in playoffs is misguided. 
If and when he hits his first HR in bigs I just hope that it is not in April 2024. 

I think primarily the kid would benefit from a brief reset in Norfolk and joining back after rosters expand if he has refound his swing. 

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

At a .117 /.420 OPS in a kid who is clearly pressing in a pennant race and risking his future development because of some misguided thoughts about “adjusting “ 

Lol..they aren’t risking anything. His batted ball data suggest someone whose stats should be much better. They would still not be good but they would at least look better.

He is averaging 4.77 P/PA, which would easily be leading the league if he qualified. He is definitely up there guessing at times but he’s not swinging at bad pitches for the most part. He is definitely taking too many good pitches, which is the same issue Adley and Gunnar had.

He has hit the ball hard at times and his xBA is much higher than his actual BA. Again, I’m not saying his numbers would be good..we are still probably looking at a 560-600 OPS guy but that still looks way better and I think that would give people more leniency with him because a 420 OPS looks so disgusting.

He has also fit right in with the clubhouse and is already becoming somewhat of a leader. His attitude isn’t changing, so I doubt he is down on himself about the rough start.

I don’t think retaining rookie eligibility should be a big consideration for Cowser or Ortiz, regardless of the fact that winning now should have a high priority. Ortiz isn’t likely to put up big offensive numbers that will get him in ROY consideration. Cowser might, but also might not play against LHP and he’s not likely to put up big power numbers. 

Kjerstad though could hit 30+ HR and do great in traditional stuff like AVG, RBI, batting in the middle of the order…he has a much better shot at ROY. 

Voters have definitely gotten more analytically savvy but when you have a bunch of players close to each other in WAR, I think they defer to the traditional stuff as tiebreakers.