Angelos wanted two year lease extension

Going Underground

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Going to be hard to beat OPACY + 600M bribe.

Impossible.  In the end, Napoleon won't get what he wants here (he'll still pocket millions, of course).  I'm sure he'll handle it well and not act like a spoiled brat. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Could they do what the Braves did and move the O's out of Baltimore city to one of the surrounding counties?

No. They want the city tax dollars to stay in the city. Only other place would be Port Covington or now Baltimore Pennisula but that doesn't  seem probable.T here is land and off of 95 but don't see it. Angelos wants to work out a deal with the Breamble Group who bought  Harborplace and built that up. That is not on top of the stadium and would need some type of bus or overhead pedestrian walkway.Someone even suggested a monorail. Don't see that as working out well 

Edited by Going Underground

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Nothing new.Happens all the time. Military bases and defense contracts happen to go to a certain state. A manufacturing plant is built in a state that happens to have a Senator or Congress person lobbying a bill that happens to help that industry.

Yes you're absolutely right, but just because it happens a lot does it mean it's ok or that we shouldn't be upset by it?  JA is using our beloved team to line his pockets and those of his buddies, as well as further his political agenda over the agenda of actually winning baseball games.  That should disgust all of us.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t find the “former law firm employee” angle all that problematic.  I mean, it’s been 18 years.  Not exactly yesterday.  He’s currently a partner at Venable LLP, which is a well known national law firm that originated in Baltimore.  Nothing to see there IMO.  

My friend is a partner at Venable and he said the guy negotiating the lease is a good guy and they will get this done.   We went to ball game together last week.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Feels like this got leaked as a form of damage control to reassure fans the team is staying…

Leak that they wanted to sign a short term deal instead of a long term deal that was promised as damage control....

Yea, sounds like the type of move John would approve.

• Haha 1

If they dont have the land nearby are they planning a "imminent domain" seizure?  Didnt people do this in the last two or three decades claiming the need for your land just because they can fund some project which will pay back more tax money?  

I am sure the real reason is Angelos wants to buff the Orioles worth before some sale in the next decade.  How can he maximize their value?  

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

If they dont have the land nearby are they planning a "imminent domain" seizure?  Didnt people do this in the last two or three decades claiming the need for your land just because they can fund some project which will pay back more tax money?  

I am sure the real reason is Angelos wants to buff the Orioles worth before some sale in the next decade.  How can he maximize their value?  

Seizures sometimes take years to resolve. But looks like the plan is not to build at the stadium but near Harborplace  Things could and well change .

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Seizures sometimes take years to resolve. But looks like the plan is not to build at the stadium but near Harborplace  Things could and well change .

So why is Angelos going nuts over Harborplace?  Thats like 1/4 mile  or more away.  Why does he get to plan that redevelopment?  How is it vital to the Orioles?  

I am just confused.  Maybe I am missing something.  

Edited by Gurgi

27 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Feels like this got leaked as a form of damage control to reassure fans the team is staying…

I don’t find it reassuring at all.  The team is going nowhere in 2024.   A two year extension would be just long enough for Angelos to figure out a Plan B to move the team.  Remember, he had an option to renew the lease for five years, and didn’t execute it.  That would have been an easy way to stall for time while negotiating plans for Camden Crossing or whatever.   But it sounds like Angelos wants a quicker out if things don’t work out to his satisfaction.  No way the MSA should agree to that.  

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

So why is Angelos going nuts over Harborplace?  Thats like 1/4 mile  or more away.  Why does he get to plan that redevelopment?  How is it vital to the Orioles?  

I am just confused.  Maybe I am missing something.  

Angelos wants there to be attractions within an easy walk of the stadium.  That helps attendance.  Makes sense to me.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t find it reassuring at all.  The team is going nowhere in 2024.   A two year extension would be just long enough for Angelos to figure out a Plan B to move the team.  Remember, he had an option to renew the lease for five years, and didn’t execute it.  That would have been an easy way to stall for time while negotiating plans for Camden Crossing or whatever.   But it sounds like Angelos wants a quicker out if things don’t work out to his satisfaction.  No way the MSA should agree to that.  

Plus he can see how the A's relocation is handled.  I don't care what he says about Fort McHenry ,he finds an out and doesn't like how the MSA negotiations are going, good bye