Urías's truly Gold Glove

LA2

I searched for the Defensive gems and Ramón Urías threads, but for some reason couldn't find them--moderators shd please feel free to move this note to either one. I merely wanted to mention this one impressive aspect of the play by Ramón that robbed Altuve of a double yesterday that Dave Johnson missed in his description.

In the highlight vid, the clip from the outfield camera begins a bit earlier. This makes it possible to see--at approximately 00:13--that not only was the ball past Urías when he dove & gloved it (as Johnson describes), but that his rhythmic anticipation step a split-second before Altuve's smash was sidewards to Ramón's left. So it's all the more amazing that he instantaneously fought against his own momentum to make a fantastic play to his right, toward the foul line (and then, as DJ notes, reversed again to make a perfect throw from his knees as if it were totally routine). 

https://www.mlb.com/video/dean-kremer-in-play-out-s-to-jose-altuve-b169x5?q=ContentTags == ["defense","gamepk-717053"] Order By Timestamp DESC&pt=Defensive Highlights&p=0

Mateo's heralded defense may have weakened this year, but not Urías's. Along with the decent bat with tactical oppo power, he provides wonderful depth and versatility to the Orioles infield.

• Upvote 3

I thought the play was right there with any of Brooks' greatest defensive plays in his career including in the 1970 World Series.Brooks himself would say that.Brooks always gives credit when a defensive play was brilliant...he told me many times that many of the plays Manny made, he(Brooks) couldn't have made..

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Love Urias. Wish he could hit just a little bit better.

He’s offense is down this year, but he’s still exactly league average, with a 100 OPS+.  Homers are down too, but he has 21 doubles in 82 games, so he’s still getting extra base hits.  And his career OPS+ is 107, so it’s not like he doesn’t have a track record of hitting better.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I thought the play was right there with any of Brooks' greatest defensive plays in his career including in the 1970 World Series.Brooks himself would say that.Brooks always gives credit when a defensive play was brilliant...he told me many times that many of the plays Manny made, he(Brooks) couldn't have made..

Sorry Brooksy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 11:56 PM, Sports Guy said:

Last year Urias had a +7 OAA at third. This year it’s -5.

It is +2 at 2nd, which is the best of his career over there.

This is one of those times that OAA doesn’t square with other defensive metrics, or with the eye test.  At 3B, he’s at +3.8 UZR, and 0 Rdrs and 0 Rtot.  He’s made 2 errors there in 500+ innings.  

Last night he made two outstanding plays.  To me, maybe he’s a tick below last year (understandable since he’s been shuttling between 2B and 3B more), but no way he’s played a below average 3B this year.   

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/dean-kremer-in-play-out-s-to-bo-bichette-iwutqb?t=play-your-way

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is one of those times that OAA doesn’t square with other defensive metrics, or with the eye test.  At 3B, he’s at +3.8 UZR, and 0 Rdrs and 0 Rtot.  He’s made 2 errors there in 500+ innings.  

Last night he made two outstanding plays.  To me, maybe he’s a tick below last year (understandable since he’s been shuttling between 2B and 3B more), but no way he’s played a below average 3B this year.   

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/dean-kremer-in-play-out-s-to-bo-bichette-iwutqb?t=play-your-way

YOU DO NOT TELL SG THAT HIS DEFENSIVE METRICS ARE WRONG!!!!11 

I agree that he’s been outstanding lately. I think he’s a really good player, I’ll be sad when they move on from him.