Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

I don’t really think this factors into the decision with Hicks as I think his best OF days are behind him (specifically CF), but a big question mark for me next year is who is the back up CF? I think it would be prudent to have one not named Hays/Cowser as they just aren’t CF, even in SSS. So I could see a veteran signed for that specific purpose, as it is probably fair to assume Mullins doesn’t play 150+ games.  I just don’t see anyone from our MiL system filling that void next year other than McKenna.

It will be Cowser with McKenna in the minors in case of injury.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Now I see what you were saying re: additional dollars.  I wonder if a team could structure a contract for him so that the payments are on the back-end so Yankees still pay. 

Sure, some team could sign Hicks to a three year deal.   The contract would be the minimum for 2024 and 2025 and the signing for the third year would be above that.   Doubt any team would do that for his age 36 year.

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

At some point people are going to realize the Orioles believe in chemistry and having certain vets to help the young guys.  It’s hard to argue against the winning. 

Honestly, at some point, I do think you have to just tip the cap due to the winning. I can certainly point to several head scratching moves by Elias including the Frazier signing, the lack of playing Stowers early on, and the lack of move for a true ace at the trading deadline to add to the rotation. 

But at the end of the day, I've always said that the results are the only thing that matter when the team is ready to compete. And whether I can nitpick on certain things now, what I can't deny is the sums of it's parts has allowed the Orioles to have the best record in the AL and potentially having their first 100+ season since 1979. 

I have zero issues of Hicks being put back on this roster over Cowser. Afterall, Cowser failed in his first go around and whether Cowser ends up better next season or the seasons to come have little to do with this season. Hicks is a veteran who has 114 postseason PAs to his credit and I think Elias and Hyde values that experience. 

I saw someone say Cowser looked "just happy to be in the majors" while Westburg looked "All business." While I think most of that is personality based, there could be some merit to the fact that Hyde may just like his clubhouse better with a veteran like Hicks on the team vs Cowser who some of referred to as a "bit goofy" in interviews and such. That's not being derogatory towards Cowser, just that maybe his personality is not what Hyde feels this team needs in a playoff stretch run over a calming presence like Hicks? 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the way, I knew we’d win this game when, down two runs, Hicks hit a ground single to LCF and stretched it to a double when he saw the outfielder play it too casually.   That showed me the O’s were going to concede nothing.   And then Frazier cashed him in with a single.  Boy I hate those guys.   So stupid to have signed guys like that.  

This plays told us a lot about his health as well. When he first came back from the IL, I think we saw him being a little tentative at times, particularly in the field, but there was nothing tentative about stretching that hit into a double.

Not that this team needs much more inspiration, but when you see an almost 35-year old, 11-year veteran out there laying it all out on the field, you sure as hell are not going to dog it any time soon.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

McKenna would be claimed pretty quickly, I suspect.  

And if so, you sign a guy that can play center to a minor league contract and hope that Mullins doesn't get hurt.  They didn't think McKenna was good enough to play this year since they picked up Hicks when he got injured.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, at some point, I do think you have to just tip the cap due to the winning. I can certainly point to several head scratching moves by Elias including the Frazier signing, the lack of playing Stowers early on, and the lack of move for a true ace at the trading deadline to add to the rotation. 

But at the end of the day, I've always said that the results are the only thing that matter when the team is ready to compete. And whether I can nitpick on certain things now, what I can't deny is the sums of it's parts has allowed the Orioles to have the best record in the AL and potentially having their first 100+ season since 1979. 

I have zero issues of Hicks being put back on this roster over Cowser. Afterall, Cowser failed in his first go around and whether Cowser ends up better next season or the seasons to come have little to do with this season. Hicks is a veteran who has 114 postseason PAs to his credit and I think Elias and Hyde values that experience. 

I saw someone say Cowser looked "just happy to be in the majors" while Westburg looked "All business." While I think most of that is personality based, there could be some merit to the fact that Hyde may just like his clubhouse better with a veteran like Hicks on the team vs Cowser who some of referred to as a "bit goofy" in interviews and such. That's not being derogatory towards Cowser, just that maybe his personality is not what Hyde feels this team needs in a playoff stretch run over a calming presence like Hicks? 

Teams were out to fleece the Orioles at the deadline which is why they didn’t trade for a top flight starter. The Flaherty trade was enough of a fleecing on its own. The fact we had to give up what we did just to obtain a mediocre starter should tell you all you need to know about what teams were asking for for higher end guys. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What’s wrong about it.  I believe it’s correct.  The total he receives from the Orioles and Yankees is exactly the same as he’d be paid if no team signed him and the Yankees had to pay it all.  

The Yankee contract is owed in full.  You want to penalize Hicks for finding work elsewhere?   You think if the Orioles pay Hicks 1/5M next year that it just comes out of his Yankee contract?   Check the contact section of your law books!   

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Teams were out to fleece the Orioles at the deadline which is why they didn’t trade for a top flight starter. The Flaherty trade was enough of a fleecing on its own. The fact we had to give up what we did just to obtain a mediocre starter should tell you all you need to know about what teams were asking for for higher end guys. 

What's odd is I don't think any team really overpaid at the deadline.

Crazy that the O's were subjected to these crazily unfair trade proposals when no one else seemingly was.

Almost like that wasn't actually happening.

I do think the White Sox were asking too much for Cease but that's a White Sox thing, not an O's thing.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What's odd is I don't think any team really overpaid at the deadline.

Crazy that the O's were subjected to these crazily unfair trade proposals when no one else seemingly was.

Almost like that wasn't actually happening.

I do think the White Sox were asking too much for Crease but that's a White Sox thing, not an O's thing.

There is simply no way you believe that. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Yankee contract is owed in full.  You want to penalize Hicks for finding work elsewhere?   You think if the Orioles pay Hicks 1/5M next year that it just comes out of his Yankee contract?   Check the contact section of your law books!   

That is literally how it works though.

The alternative is that Hicks is rewarded for being released by the Yankees and he draws two Major League salaries.

The team that releases a player is responsible for the salary the player is owed, less what he is paid by the team that signs him.

• Upvote 1