Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You eventually conceded you were incorrect about this season.

What is different about next season that what is true this season wouldn't be true next season?

Being claimed on waivers.  That would be the difference.  If he signed as a FA it would be a new contract.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll disagree on all of the above, based off of what the situation was at the time.

Maybe you are just someone that thinks that teams shouldn't ever trade for players at the deadline.

I'm of the mindset that you have to give up quality to get quality.

A lot of the guys traded at the deadline aren't going to amount to anything in the majors.

It was a seller’s market, so overpays are expected, but that doesn’t make them good moves. Teams are too scared ESPN is going to give them an “F” deadline grade because they don’t give up top prospects for rentals. 

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. I’ll concede that is true for this year but I don’t believe it has anything to do with a contract Hicks signs with a team for next year.

I think you’re still wrong.  Now if someone wants to sign him for more than the Yankees were paying him (LOL), that’s a different story.  

I do think that if the O’s make the playoffs, any playoff share paid to Hicks is not credited against the Yankees contract.  So, Hicks definitely has an incentive to find a good team to play for.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You eventually conceded you were incorrect about this season.

What is different about next season that what is true this season wouldn't be true next season?

This is the first I've heard of this rule. So Hicks cannot earn any extra salary beneath what the Yankees owe him?

11 hours ago, baltfan said:

At some point people are going to realize the Orioles believe in chemistry and having certain vets to help the young guys.  It’s hard to argue against the winning. 

Zero people have problems with vets on the team.

The problem people have is the roles some of these vets have and those vets blocking/taking a lot of at bats away from younger, more talented players.

More than fine to have guys like Hicks and Frazier in part time roles coming off the bench. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re still wrong.  Now if someone wants to sign him for more than the Yankees were paying him (LOL), that’s a different story.  

I do think that if the O’s make the playoffs, any playoff share paid to Hicks is not credited against the Yankees contract.  So, Hicks definitely has an incentive to find a good team to play for.  

So, Aaron Hicks has no financial incentive to play baseball while his Yankee contact is in effect?   He’ll make the same whether he plays or sits at home?   I don’t believe so but finding proof one way or the other is proving difficult.

Just now, RZNJ said:

So, Aaron Hicks has no financial incentive to play baseball while his Yankee contact is in effect?   He’ll make the same whether he plays or sits at home?   I don’t believe so but finding proof one way or the other is proving difficult.

He'll get per diem.  I'm not sure how it works with his player's share of baseball card money and such.  Also not sure if he collects service time if he doesn't play.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'll get per diem.  I'm not sure how it works with his player's share of baseball card money and such.  Also not sure if he collects service time if he doesn't play.

So next year, Adam Hicks agent has no incentive to find his client a contact above minimum unless it exceeds the Yankee money?    Doesn’t sound right to me.

Let the lawyer provide a little Contracts 101.   A homeowner hires a painter to paint his house on a specific day.  It’s going to be an all day job and the painter agrees to do it for $1000.   Then the homeowner changes his mind and breaks the contract.   In that situation, the painter has a duty to mitigate his damages.  If he finds another house to paint for $1000 that day, the original homeowner owes him nothing.  If he finds another house to paint for $750, then the original homeowner owes him $250.   If he tries to find other work but can’t, the original homeowner owes him $1000.  If he doesn’t try to find work, and the homeowner can prove he couid have found another house to paint for $1000 that day, then the homeowner owes him nothing.  That is slightly oversimplified, but basically what you learn in your first semester of law school.  Now, a written contract can specify something different from what I just described, but those are the default rules if the contract doesn’t say otherwise.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's exactly right.  The only way he makes more money is to either 1) get some team to offer to pay him ABOVE what the Yankees were paying him.  So, for example, if the Yankees have to pay him 9.5M next year, the only way he makes more is if he talks a team into going beyond 9.5M for his salary, at which point the Yankees will pay ZERO and the new team in on the hook for all 9.5+M.  Otherwise what the other team pays him is subtracted from what they Yankees owe him, thus the minimum contract making the most sense (and cents).  2) He likely gets some travel money, per diem, etc type perks.  3) As noted playoff money is different, and he can earn that directly 4) Being on an MLB roster keeps getting him credit for pension, insurance, service time, etc and that has a ton of value too.  

But other than those things listed above, yes, Hicks could sit at home on the couch the rest of this year and next year and not make any more money whether he plays baseball or not.  It's one of the goofy things about MLB and their guaranteed contracts.