Competitive Window- 24' roster

justcompete

6 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

AAA offensive numbers are up league wide. Cameron's wRC+ is 97. The O's signing Aaron Hicks when Mullins, Cowser, and Stowers were hurt tells us all we need to know about what management thinks about Cameron. Seems like a solid athlete but not someone that needs to be in the majors unless he absolutely forces the issue, which he hasn't. I don't see a spot for McKenna or Cameron as Hays, Mullins, Cowser, Santander, Stowers, Kjerstad are ahead of him plus Norby and Vavra have been playing some outfield. IDK his contract situation but he seems like a minor league free agent type. 

I would tend to agree with you but it seems that Hyde and/or Elias prioritize a true CF being on the roster behind Mullins. None of the players you listed are of that type. It’s why McKenna and then Hicks have been in Baltimore as much as they have. 

I personally think it’s overkill, much like having a third catcher. My main thinking is that Cameron likely offers more than McKenna. 

On 8/18/2023 at 1:50 PM, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad is not slow.

Watching him hit two inside the park homeruns and watching him move around the bases I have to say he was moving pretty good.  He would not seem to be slow to me at all.  Maybe he takes time to get up to speed but when he has it he motors pretty good.   

On 8/18/2023 at 11:35 AM, wildcard said:

Right now I would say that  Holliday is behind both Westburg and Ortiz in 2B defense.   Holliday is only 19 so he may get better in time.

But next year is going to be interesting at 2B.

Westburg can play 3rd. Ortiz can be traded. At this point it is deciding who you prefer offensively because you aren’t marching Davis, Reynolds or someone else that can hit and shouldn’t own a glove out there. So what if you have 12 defensive runs saved instead of 8 if the guy who only saved 8 has .200+ ops more or has the potential to hit in the top 5 spots of the lineup instead of the bottom 3? 

Coming back to this topic. 

How would you rank the following players based on their likelihood to be on the Orioles opening day roster in 2024 (and on the roster after the trading deadline in parentheses), with 1 being the most likely to be on the team and 11 the most likely to be elsewhere?

Frazier

Hays

Hicks

Mateo

McCann

McKenna

Mountcastle 

O'Hearn

Santander

Urias

Westburg

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

How would you rank the following players based on their likelihood to be on the Orioles opening day roster in 2024 (and on the roster after the trading deadline in parentheses), with 1 being the most likely to be on the team and 11 the most likely to be elsewhere?

Frazier 11

Hays 2

Hicks 10

Mateo 9

McCann 4

McKenna 8

Mountcastle  5

O'Hearn 6

Santander 3

Urias 5

Westburg 1

My rankings above.  But honestly, Westburg is about the only one where I’d bet money that be’ll be on the team next year.  He’s dirt cheap and a very good player.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Frazier

Hays

Hicks

Mateo

McCann

McKenna

Mountcastle 

O'Hearn

Santander

Urias

Westburg

Here are the players I think will not be on the O's 40 man roster of opening day:

FAs that will not be back - Frazier, Gibson, Hicks, Flaherty

Out of options and will not make the 26 man roster:  Voth, Akin, McKenna

Gone for performance related reasons:  Mateo, Gillaspie

Traded because of age:  Stowers - A prospect that will lose value if he stays in the minors.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here are the players I think will not be on the O's 40 man roster of opening day:

FAs that will not be back - Frazier, Gibson, Hicks, Flaherty

Out of options and will not make the 26 man roster:  Voth, Akin, McKenna

Gone for performance related reasons:  Mateo, Gillaspie

Traded because of age:  Stowers - A prospect that will lose value if he stays in the minors.

So , are you predicting an extension for Santander? He’s a free agent in after next season. So you either extend him or trade him this off season if you are sticking to the Rays approach.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So , are you predicting an extension for Santander? He’s a free agent in after next season. So you either extend him or trade him this off season if you are sticking to the Rays approach.

I didn't include him because I don't know what the O's will do with Santander.   The could trade him or keep him and offer a Quality Offer to get a draft choice in the 30's.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

I didn't include him because I don't know what the O's will do with Santander.   The could trade him or keep him and offer a Quality Offer to get a draft choice in the 30's.

Could but if they do what they say …. He’s extended or dealt with the latter being most likely. We have Mayo, Kjerstad, and Cowser ready and that’s not counting Stowers who I agree will be dealt. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 6:10 AM, Roll Tide said:

There were some occasions when the Rays let guys walk away in free agency in their prime without trading them.   Carl Crawford was the main one, though the Rays had extended him by a year or two earlier in his career.  

On 8/19/2023 at 3:19 PM, Gurgi said:

Watching him hit two inside the park homeruns and watching him move around the bases I have to say he was moving pretty good.  He would not seem to be slow to me at all.  Maybe he takes time to get up to speed but when he has it he motors pretty good.   

I'm hoping he hits 30-40 over the outfield fence so he can take his sweet time. 😉

I think the Orioles are going to look to trade Santander, Hays, or Mountcastle and not like the offers.  Accordingly, they are going to just roll with it and let some of these young guys come up as backups.

Rutschman

McCann

Mountcastle

O'Hearn

Westburg

Henderson

Ortiz

Urias

Santander

Mullins

Hays

Kjerstad