So... Can we win the World Series?

orioleslist

1 hour ago, nsw said:

I am so glad that after so many fallow years, this is what everyone is arguing about. We're going to win the World Series within the next 3 years. This team represents the front/early stage of our talent wave. 

You never know if and when the WS win will come.  The winningest team in Orioles’ history didn’t win the WS.  The 1991-2005 Braves won their division 14 straight seasons (excluding the one ended by the strike) and won 100+ games 6 times, and only once did they win a WS.  And that team had three hall of fame pitchers on its staff for most of that run.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree with the latter.  However, I don’t think the worst team in baseball wouid have a 30% chance of beating the best over 5 games.  My math skills are a bit rusty, but if we’re talking a .300 level team, their chances of winning any specific game would be under 30% (because they’re playing the best team, not an average team), and the odds of winning 3 of 5 are less than their odds of winning any one game.

I do think a .620 team is going to beat a .550 team in a short series more often than not, but it’s probably something like 55-60% of the time.  Again, if my math wasn’t so rusty, I could calculate the probabilities better.  

Your math makes a lot of sense and you're probably right.

I do remember reading something in one of those baseball books like 15 years ago that said that the Rays (worst team at the time) statistically speaking had a 30% chance to beat the Yankees (best team at the time) in a five game series.

Could be misremembering, like I said, your math makes a lot of sense.

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

Your math makes a lot of sense and you're probably right.

I do remember reading something in one of those baseball books like 15 years ago that said that the Rays (worst team at the time) statistically speaking had a 30% chance to beat the Yankees (best team at the time) in a five game series.

Could be misremembering, like I said, your math makes a lot of sense.

That might have been true.  Those Rays teams weren’t as awful as the current bottom feeders are.  They were closer to a .400 team than a .300 team.  

22 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Down voting someone just because you disagree with someone is a dick move.  

I downvoted him because he's way off base. We actually have a great top two starters and a great bullpen. Other than Tyler Wells, I don't see any evidence our pitchers are any more gassed than anyone else's.

I also downvoted him because he's always doom and gloom even when we're winning baseball games, and I'm getting tired of the schtick.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

This gives me the opportunity to say how much I loathe the current Draft Kings ads where everyone is spraying bubbly all over the room. What is the damned point of those ads?  They’re noisy and obnoxious, and don’t give one damned reason you should use Draft Kings.  In fact, if I ever did online gambling (which I don’t), I’d go out of my way not to use Draft Kings, just to punish them for tormenting me by running these insipid ads every frigging half-inning.  

Pete Rose as the Drsft Kings spokesman?  Now there’s an idea I could get behind, just to confirn the hypocrisy of MLB’s current stance on betting on baseball. 

My wife thinks the commercial is intentionally phallic with the bottle Big Papi is holding right at his midsection.  All I know the commercial drives me nuts. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You never know if and when the WS win will come.  The winningest team in Orioles’ history didn’t win the WS.  The 1991-2005 Braves won their division 14 straight seasons (excluding the one ended by the strike) and won 100+ games 6 times, and only once did they win a WS.  And that team had three hall of fame pitchers on its staff for most of that run.  

This is a good point.  No one talks about the Braves as a dynasty but they really were.  If they had managed to win more World Series they would be legends.  Instead they are just little more thought of than the Buffalo Bills when they went to the Super Bowl three or four years in a row and just got blown out.  

21 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I downvoted him because he's way off base. We actually have a great top two starters and a great bullpen. Other than Tyler Wells, I don't see any evidence our pitchers are any more gassed than anyone else's.

I also downvoted him because he's always doom and gloom even when we're winning baseball games, and I'm getting tired of the schtick.

Cant you just scroll past and ignore if it annoys you.  He did not say anything at all bad.  I would save negative stuff for really egregrious post.  And he post the complaints as a way of releasing pent up anxiety.  And the only people that can commiserate with him is other Oriole fanatics.   Who can he bitch about Oriole stuff to out in LA?  Us.