I love Jacob Webb

brucewayne

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice recovery by Webb after loading the bases in the 10tb.  I hope Hyde realizes he can’t go to Webb again tomorrow.  

Fuji’s been a disappointment, but Webb has provided the injection we needed, at least so far. 

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind getting Fuji back on a one year deal. I think he can be fixed. 

55 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind getting Fuji back on a one year deal. I think he can be fixed. 

It would be interesting to see what Fujinami would look like after an entire off-season and spring training under the tutelage of the Orioles pitching lab with his arm.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
spelling
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be interesting to see what Fujinami would look like after an entire off-season and spring training under the tutelage of the Orioles pitching lab with his arm.

I'm with this.  There's tremendous talent, for sure.  I want to see if they can figure out a way to add some movement to that fastball that's straight as an arrow.

Depending on what unfolds over the next month and a half, I can see him not making the postseason roster if someone like DL Hall steps up and grabs a bullpen spot.  But I wouldn't be so quick to cast off Fuji in the offseason.  I'd like to see what the Orioles can do with him, too.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm with this.  There's tremendous talent, for sure.  I want to see if they can figure out a way to add some movement to that fastball that's straight as an arrow.

Depending on what unfolds over the next month and a half, I can see him not making the postseason roster if someone like DL Hall steps up and grabs a bullpen spot.  But I wouldn't be so quick to cast off Fuji in the offseason.  I'd like to see what the Orioles can do with him, too.

Me too. If he wants to stick around on a reasonable one year deal, I'm for giving him one last chance. Who knows what he wants, though.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice recovery by Webb after loading the bases in the 10tb.  I hope Hyde realizes he can’t go to Webb again tomorrow.  

Fuji’s been a disappointment, but Webb has provided the injection we needed, at least so far. 

Fuji has been about what any objective person could have expected. Unless you mean it was disappointing we didn't get someone better?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It was interesting what Ben was saying last night about the lack of difference in mph with the fastball/splitter. Saying that throwing it 95 seems nice but in all actuality he needs to place it even better. I’m not sure that is completely accurate or not but I hadn’t thought about it like that.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

It was interesting what Ben was saying last night about the lack of difference in mph with the fastball/splitter. Saying that throwing it 95 seems nice but in all actuality he needs to place it even better. I’m not sure that is completely accurate or not but I hadn’t thought about it like that.

In my experience balls left over the middle of the plate no matter how hard get hit, and that's true at every level starting with travel ball.  I think a 5 mph delta between those two pitches is about right but it needs to be executed correctly.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

You could see that in the homer. He actually made a decent pitch in the zone with the split and had Diaz out in front a lot but because it only about a 4-6 mph difference he was able to keep his bat in the zone to not hank it foul and get good wood on it.  If it was 8-10 mph difference he can’t stay back and is out in front and over top it for the strikeout. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

In my experience balls left over the middle of the plate no matter how hard get hit, and that's true at every level starting with travel ball.  I think a 5 mph delta between those two pitches is about right but it needs to be executed correctly.

5 mph difference in your fastball and off speed is awful.  You want about 8-10 mph.  Bautista hangs his share of splitters but has a 8-10 mph difference allows him to get away with it a good amount of time.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

5 mph difference in your fastball and off speed is awful.  You want about 8-10 mph.  Bautista hangs his share of splitters but has a 8-10 mph difference allows him to get away with it a good amount of time.  

True BUT Felix Bautista has elite stuff, Fuji is not even close.  The average 4S/Splitter delta is around 7.6 MPH (I won't even footnote that), I think the average between a MLB 4S and a changeup is 8-10 mph.  You are comparing one of the best pitches in baseball to one that in Fuji's case is below average.  Let's not get into it here but there are about a hundred reasons Bautista is more effective than Fuji with similar 4S velocity.