So Who Gets DFAed for Wiggy?

Anonymous

Moore is nowhere near the player Wigginton is and probably Kevin Millar was last year. Are you really basing your "man-crush" for Moore from his spring training performance last year? Moore is not a plus defender anywhere. Minor league stats and personal observations tell me that. Even if he were a plus defender at 3B and 1B, it's not enough to carry his weak bat at a corner position. There are probably 50-100 guys in AAA right now that are Scott Moore-types and that's basically replacement level at best.

Moore is a good guy to have in Triple-A for emergencies but he's behind Salazar right now if something were to happen at 1st base and Montanez would be ahead of him for any 4th outfield right-handed DH opportunities.

Oh Tony.

You're just throwing Millar's name in there to gall 'ol Sly, aren't you?!?! ;)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buried at the bottom of a Schmuck blog from yesterday:

There was no final word today on Ty Wigginton, who was scheduled to come into town for a physical. I doubt there's any problem, but haven't heard anything one way or another. The contract probably will become official in a day or two. Scott Moore is expected to be waived to make room on the 40-man roster.

Scott Moore is "expected" to be waived - sounds like Schmuck is passing along information rather than stating an opinion.

Buried at the bottom of a Schmuck blog from yesterday:

There was no final word today on Ty Wigginton, who was scheduled to come into town for a physical. I doubt there's any problem, but haven't heard anything one way or another. The contract probably will become official in a day or two. Scott Moore is expected to be waived to make room on the 40-man roster.

Scott Moore is "expected" to be waived - sounds like Schmuck is passing along information rather than stating an opinion.

Roch also says Moore is likely to be DFA.

Look for an announcement soon that he's been taken off the 40-man roster.

http://masnsports.com/2009/02/collecting-some-digits.html

MH said:

Geez Roch, sounds like you are just throwing Moore to the wolves like a piece of meat....here's to hoping another team claims him, one that actually shows a little respect to their players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not throwing him to the wolves, just passing along the next roster move (at least as it stands right now). Taking a guy off the 40-man roster isn't disrespecting a player. It's a business move. If the Orioles could have a 41-man roster, they'd keep him on it. And nothing is official, but that appears to be the move. The Orioles reserve the right to change their minds at the last moment. - Roch

February 7, 2009 11:06 AM

Well ..Guess I'm not surprised

At some point the fact that we have around 27 pitchers (IIRC) on the 40 man has to come into play, doesn't it? A normal amount is more like 23-24.

Please, please, please don't suggest to Rshack that we're stockpiling pitchers.:D

At some point the fact that we have around 27 pitchers (IIRC) on the 40 man has to come into play, doesn't it? A normal amount is more like 23-24. Though I will guess that time will be the end of spring training. When they have to add one of the backup catchers and one of the utility infielders, then they will cut two pitchers.

So my guess is Moore, too.

Regarding the pitching, the definites to make the roster, lets say 13, are Guthrie, Uehara, Sherrill, Ray, Johnson, and Hendrickson. That leaves 7 spots. Hill, Penn, Pauley, Sarfate, Bass, and Simon are our 6 pitchers that are out of options. This also doesn't take into account Walker and Baez, which brings the count of pitchers whom if taken off the 25 man roster come off the 40 man roster as well to 8. So if the team is made up of all these players, than at least one pitcher comes off the 40 man roster at least.

Also, Moore is most likely to clear waivers and has to remain with the organization if he clears waivers.

If there are injuries in ST, no reason to waive players that we can't retain now.

And he never earned the shot.

Besides, Moore was most likely never going to amount to anything on the major league roster. He is most likely to become AAAA fodder.

I don't know what more he could have done in ST to prove that he earned a shot. And I disagree that he'll become fodder. He's going to be a Casey Blake for some team that gives him a chance...

I don't know what more he could have done in ST to prove that he earned a shot. And I disagree that he'll become fodder. He's going to be a Casey Blake for some team that gives him a chance...

So he earned a shot via ST. He unfortunately got sent down to Norfolk because his spot was needed. He lost his shot by posting disastrous numbers at Norfolk.

I don't really know who will give Moore a chance until he posts better numbers at AAA. Besides, the Orioles could still be that team, as he will remain in Norfolk this entire season unless he is claimed.

Anyways, Moore gave the Orioles an easy way to announce the release of Gibbons.

What makes you think Scott Moore will be like Casey Blake?

So he earned a shot via ST. He unfortunately got sent down to Norfolk because his spot was needed. He lost his shot by posting disastrous numbers at Norfolk.

Anyways, Moore gave the Orioles an easy way to announce the release of Gibbons.

If you'd read that article he had to completely alter his approach to play in Norfolk. Imagine having the same approach and swing and then have to competely change it to play in one ballpark. Moore finally did adjust a few months in, but was injured for the season.

The point is the Orioles had the luxury of giving him a shot to play but instead they played a 36 year old declining 1st baseman for no reason. Millar could have been traded to open up a spot for Moore, and if Moore didn't cut it, they could have put Huff at 1B like they are doing this season. And if MacPhail had had a better rotation and not had guys like Trachsel and Burres in there, he wouldn't have had to go with 13 pitchers. Ditto for the SS position. Had the Orioles got a decent SS option, they wouldn't have had to carry both Brandon Fahey and Luis Hernandez on the roster. Can you honestly say either player deserved a roster spot over Scott Moore?

What makes you think Scott Moore will be like Casey Blake?

Look at his minor league #'s. He's always had good power and plays good defense at the corners. The guy was a former first round pick so he's got talent. He's just had the unfortunate problem of being blocked all the time by veterans. The Orioles could have finally given him that shot last season, but instead decided to play a washed up 1B man instead...

If you'd read that article he had to completely alter his approach to play in Norfolk. Imagine having the same approach and swing and then have to competely change it to play in one ballpark. Moore finally did adjust a few months in, but was injured for the season.

The point is the Orioles had the luxury of giving him a shot to play but instead they played a 36 year old declining 1st baseman for no reason. Millar could have been traded to open up a spot for Moore, and if Moore didn't cut it, they could have put Huff at 1B like they are doing this season. And if MacPhail had had a better rotation and not had guys like Trachsel and Burres in there, he wouldn't have had to go with 13 pitchers. Ditto for the SS position. Had the Orioles got a decent SS option, they wouldn't have had to carry both Brandon Fahey and Luis Hernandez on the roster. Can you honestly say either player deserved a roster spot over Scott Moore?

I didn't realize he had to change his approach. If you could provide a link to the article I would gladly read it.

I agree that I would have rather have had Moore on the roster over Millar, Fahey, Hernandez, Trachsel, or Burres.

But as of 2009, those players he should have played over are off the roster. He is, unfortunately, now one of those players who should be off the roster.

While he might have a future in the major leagues, it wasn't going to be this year, even if we have a 4 man bench. Anyways, if Moore clears waivers, which he most likely will, he will be assigned to Triple-A Norfolk for the 2009 season as he can't elect to become a MiL free agent. If he goes back and earns a look on the major league team, I am sure he will be called up at some point to see if he fits into an infield that doesn't have much of a future.

Archived