Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

42 minutes ago, Malike said:

There are a million articles by reputable sources that are data driven that suggest using your best reliever to get the last 3 outs is probably not the best time to use that reliever. The closer position is definitely overrated and oft times the best reliever should be used in the highest leverage situations and getting 3 outs in the 9th isn't always the highest leverage situation in a game. We are going to miss what Bautista brings to this team, but we'll get the last 3 outs, likely as much as we would if Felix were closing the games out. I'm hoping the silence we're getting today isn't deafening. If it were just soreness we'd likely have heard it from Roch or someone by now if the tests didn't show something bad.

The 9th inning, all things being equal, is always going to be the highest leverage situation in a regulation game.  Hyde has not been shy about using Bautista in the 8th if the setup man lets runners on, and it's extremely difficult to predict earlier game states to be high enough leverage to warrant a closer given how much leverage increases late in the game.

Hyde only uses Bautista in 3 run save situations if he needs to get him in the game to avoid a long layoff.  In general Bautista has been saved for extremely high leverage situations; his leverage index is the highest on the team by a lot, at 2.11, which isnwe.  Cano is the next highest at 1.83.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

The Orioles bullpen has also blown more saves than any team not named St. Louis, CWS, or the Nats, even with Felix who had blown 1/3 of our saves. Again, we need him and I don't want to diminish that, but we've blown a lot of saves and still have the best record in the AL.

Lets do ALL those numbers.  We've had more save opportunities than anybody in baseball.  Our save percentage is middle of the pack.  We've got more one run wins than anyone.  

Something I have not seen mentioned, maybe I missed it as internet has been down, is that the mere thought of Felix lurking down in the bullpen has to affect the oppositions thought process as to who PHs, etc. This is another thing we lose when he is not available.  I am sure he was in their heads big time.  

6 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Lets do ALL those numbers.  We've had more save opportunities than anybody in baseball.  Our save percentage is middle of the pack.  We've got more one run wins than anyone.  

That isn't true. The Giants have as many save ops as we do and less blown saves with an inferior closer by our definition.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

That isn't true. The Giants have as many save ops as we do and less blown saves with an inferior closer by our definition.

The chart I looked at showed us with one more opp.  I didn't say we had the best save percentage did I.  Last time I looked Felix had 6 blown saves but we only lost two of those games.  

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The chart I looked at showed us with one more opp.  I didn't say we had the best save percentage did I.  Last time I looked Felix had 6 blown saves but we only lost two of those games.  

You said we have more save opportunities than any other team, we don't we have the same amount as the Giants. I'm just saying your first sentence is not true, I don't care about anything after that.

It’s like you all had an idea of what happened last night, have been hand wringing all day, and are about to get some bad news for sure so you can all be over the top with how upset you are. 

I ain’t trippin. We can sweep these chumps and maybe put another game or two between us and Tampa. And the DL Hall show has just rolled into town. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I'd like to add we do not have more 1 run wins than anyone else, also. Miami 27-11, Cincinatti 27-25, Milwaukee 26-11, Baltimore 23-11. Philadelphia 23-18.

Edited by Malike

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s like you all had an idea of what happened last night, have been hand wringing all day, and are about to get some bad news for sure so you can all be over the top with how upset you are. 

I ain’t trippin. We can sweep these chumps and maybe put another game or two between us and Tampa. And the DL Hall show has just rolled into town. 

Agree. Sad but teams are resilient. I think Felix is beloved for his dominance with his 100+ fastball and incredible (when on) splitter. He can strikeout anyone. That said, someone else will step up. Might not have the strikeout dominance but we’ll be okay.

36 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Losing Bautista is bad, but here's an open secret: the Orioles bullpen has closed a lot of games already without Bautista: he's rarely available to pitch two days in a row. Hyde has handled him with kid gloves, and now we can see that justifiably so. Each reliever now will have to play a little harder to pick up their injured teammate.

Funny I have the complete opposite take.  Why handle a pitcher with kid gloves since it doesn't seem to prevent injuries?