Tyler Wells closer if Bautista is hurt??

csgordos

7 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Baumann has been collapsing in leverage situations the last several weeks.  Hard pass.

That is unfortunate. There was a period earlier in the year when I thought he was ascending into Bautista/Cano territory. He wasn't. Turns out there was only Bautista territory. We have a bunch of guys whoo look like they could do that i9n spurts. Can Hyde/Elias figure out how  to shuffle that deck between now and the end of October?

25 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

Not sure if this is a joke, but would not be in favor of this given his return from being out 12 months+ and his pitching style. Not a big strikeout guy and tends to give up hits.

Why would it be a joke?  Smoltz became a closer after Tommy John.  Means knows how to pitch.  The idea that he wouldn’t be a good closer because he doesn’t have your typical profile is kinda silly.  

46 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Baumann has been collapsing in leverage situations the last several weeks.  Hard pass.

No, he had a couple. Before that, he has been really progressing. They have been giving him more higher leverage situations for exactly this reason. He had a few stumbles, yes. They sent him down to reset because of work load, not because they do not believe in him. How many saves has Bautista blown this year? Six, I think. His stuff is right there with anyone else that is left, except maybe DL. That slider is a weapon.

I still think it is Cano or Webb. I may choose Webb because of his mental toughness. The guy is durable and a bulldog out there. 

Evan Philips of all people has been an effective closer for one of the best teams in baseball this year.  It is certainly possible that we have an arm that can handle the spot, whether it be Means, Wells, Hall, Cano. Hell maybe Brian Baker gets it together. It’s a terrible loss (presumably) but it’s not impossible to overcome by any means. 

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Evan Philips of all people has been an effective closer for one of the best teams in baseball this year.  It is certainly possible that we have an arm that can handle the spot, whether it be Means, Wells, Hall, Cano. Hell maybe Brian Baker gets it together. It’s a terrible loss (presumably) but it’s not impossible to overcome by any means. 

Will be an interesting test of Hyde/Elias. The way Hyde has managed I would guess committee with putting guys in different spots where they have the best chance of success. Three batters each and then next man up.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Will be an interesting test of Hyde/Elias. The way Hyde has managed I would guess committee with putting guys in different spots where they have the best chance of success. Three batters each and then next man up.

Right. If nothing else it makes the last month of the season even more interesting than it already was. 

13 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Grayson is our second best starter right now.  I would definitely not move him to the bullpen.   I'd be more open to considering Flaherty or Gibson as a closer.  

Wells closed tonight in Norfolk (1 IP) with Means starting (4+ IP), so clearly the organization is planning to bring Wells back in a bullpen role while Means will start or do long relief.  The last I read (prior to tonight's outing) Wells' velocity was down to around 92.  

His velocity is down to the same speed as his average fastball this year? Interesting. I think people are confusing the Wells and Bradish fastballs. Wells has never had a big fastball. His average FB last year was 93, it's 92 this year.

2 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

I am not a Baumann fan, but his overall numbers in high leverage situations are respectable, notwithstanding the two bad outings he had recently.  I wouldn’t use him as my closer, but I won’t be shocked if he pulls himself together and rejoins the team.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am not a Baumann fan, but his overall numbers in high leverage situations are respectable, notwithstanding the two bad outings he had recently.  I wouldn’t use him as my closer, but I won’t be shocked if he pulls himself together and rejoins the team.

I think Baumann and Baker (and Vespi, and Krehbiel) are all acceptably decent MLB relievers. Like you said they're not the guys I want out there with a playoff game on the line, but it speaks to our depth that they are all in AAA.

If the issue is FB velocity, we all know who has the highest FB not named Felix. I'm not certain anyone would pick Fuji as the closer. So saying you don't want Wells in that spot because his FB averages 91-93 is just nonsense. Wells has shown he has the mental makeup to close and be effective. Does the propensity to give up HRs worry me. Of course. But he should be an option if he's throwing the ball well on his return. 

I suspect that Hyde will match up and use the best guy for the matchup in each situation when he can. I'd be surprised if anyone is labeled "the Closer."

5 hours ago, Malike said:

His velocity is down to the same speed as his average fastball this year? Interesting. I think people are confusing the Wells and Bradish fastballs. Wells has never had a big fastball. His average FB last year was 93, it's 92 this year.

IIRC correctly, in the one season he was a RP his fastball was in the 94-95 range.