Brewers won't reap huge draft windfall afterall

• 2 weeks later...
Just found this article interesting. I don't follow the amateur draft as much as some of you all do, so maybe this is old news to you...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090206&content_id=3804120&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Interesting twist on the whole 'we'll get picks from signing so n so' approach. It's apparent you can no longer count on some things as a given - there's enough risk to tarnish the value of those thoughts - at least a little...

Interesting twist on the whole 'we'll get picks from signing so n so' approach. It's apparent you can no longer count on some things as a given - there's enough risk to tarnish the value of those thoughts - at least a little...

Certainly a surprise. One thing to keep in mind is that it's unusual for one team to gobble-up three top tier FAs like the Yankees did. I definitely agree this will make teams think twice about trading for someone if they expect comp picks to be part of the value they are receiving.

I still think they will end up in great shape if they do a good job. It is a numbers game and they do have 6 of the top 102 selections.

That's true - here's a blueprint to avoid w/ due respect to Bechler (O's in 1998):

1 26 Rick Elder OF

1 39 Mamon Tucker OF

2 51 Ben Knapp P

2 69 Alex Hart P

3 99 Steve Bechler P

4 129 Chris Davidson P

Archived