Lucas Giolito on waivers?

Hallas

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I too find it odd no one claimed Clevinger. The MLB went through thousands of texts and emails between him and the alleged victim, spoke to dozens of people they both know and from what it seems, did a very thorough investigation and claimed there was no merit to it and cleared him to play. He's not facing any criminal charges, and in the US at least, you are innocent until proven guilty. It appears no criminal charges suggest that there is not enough evidence to push forward. Not sure what type of teammate he is, or what type of distraction it would bring to a team.

His ERA+ is 134 and he's out performing his FIP by about a run but he keeps the ball in the yard and doesn't strike a ton of guys out. Statcast data is good not great.

But, he’d instantly be better than any guy we have every 4th day. Hopefully he signs before midnight!

Still a White Sox apparently…..

Although Clevinger was placed on waivers, he was not designated for assignment or released, having stayed on the Chicago roster while the waiver process played out. Now that he has cleared, they can outright him to the minors or release him, though he has enough service time to reject an outright assignment while retaining his salary. It seems as though he will simply play out the remainder of the season with the Sox as they play out the string on a disappointing season.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

So he’d cost 6 million for a month. The contract plus the buyout if he’s any good. Too rich for Angelos.

I dunno, they are paying Gibson 10M. I think they would have gone in on him, especially for the price for next season, he's a big upgrade over Gibson at around the same cost.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I dunno, they are paying Gibson 10M. I think they would have gone in on him, especially for the price for next season, he's a big upgrade over Gibson at around the same cost.

The only other thing I can think of is Clevinger was investigated for domestic abuse allegations, but MLB wrapped up it's investigation with no punishment against Clevinger.

The Orioles being cheap and not wanting to pay $6M for a month of Clevinger is one thing, but I can't believe another wouldn't take a chance on a quality pitcher who can make a difference down the stretch.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announces-completion-of-mike-clevinger-investigation

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- There will be no suspension for White Sox pitcher Mike Clevinger in the wake of allegations of domestic abuse against the mother of his 10-month-old daughter, as well as abuse of the child, Major League Baseball announced in a statement Sunday:

“The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball has completed its investigation into allegations against Chicago White Sox pitcher Mike Clevinger. The comprehensive investigation included interviews of more than 15 individuals, in addition to Mr. Clevinger and the complainant, as well as a review of available documents, such as thousands of electronic communication records. The Office of the Commissioner has closed this investigation and, barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, the Office of the Commissioner will not be imposing discipline on Mr. Clevinger in connection with these allegations.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

The option was mutual….he turns it down and gets $6 million. Goes to free agency. Look at the contracts the last couple of years. He’d get a 3-4 year deal between 45 and 80 million

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only other thing I can think of is Clevinger was investigated for domestic abuse allegations, but MLB wrapped up it's investigation with no punishment against Clevinger.

The Orioles being cheap and not wanting to pay $6M for a month of Clevinger is one thing, but I can't believe another wouldn't take a chance on a quality pitcher who can make a difference down the stretch.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announces-completion-of-mike-clevinger-investigation

There are a lot of teams that were being cheap, then. That is a lot of money to pay for a handful of starts.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The option was mutual….he turns it down and gets $6 million. Goes to free agency. Look at the contracts the last couple of years. He’d get a 3-4 year deal between 45 and 80 million

Yeah thanks, just looked it up. Makes sense now why everyone passed on him. That and he's been on the IL twice this year.

30 minutes ago, Malike said:

That makes sense, then. There is 0 chance he would have cleared all 30 teams.

He did though.  DV accusations aside, he was rumored to have "maturity issues."  He must be a colossal a-hole for 29 teams to turn him down for just his remaining salary.

Just now, Hallas said:

He did though.  DV accusations aside, he was rumored to have "maturity issues."  He must be a colossal a-hole for 29 teams to turn him down for just his remaining salary.

Yeah I clarified that. If the option were a team option he would have been gone in an instant. Nobody is paying 6M dollars for a few starts to end the year.

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

He was rumored to be a jerk.  The WS GM made reference of "maturity issues" in the offseason.  Even so, he's put up 3 WAR as a pitcher despite missing a month's worth of starts.  You really have to be jerk for playoff teams to say no thanks to that.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Yeah I clarified that. If the option were a team option he would have been gone in an instant. Nobody is paying 6M dollars for a few starts to end the year.

I don't think playoff teams would bat an eye at the price tag given his performance.  It's got to be due to character concerns.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Seriously? You are just kidding right? With the exception of last year at San Diego he’s consistently a 3.20 ish era pitcher since 2017. He’s a 2.9 WAR 3.32 1.2 WHIP pitcher this year.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a John Angelos money thing! I’d have released Gibson this afternoon and you’d have your 4 man rotation locked in for the playoffs with Bradish, Clevinger, Kremer, & Grayson.

You really need to start looking at advanced stats and stop focusing on ERA. Clevinger has been doing it with smoke and mirrors for years. At best he's a Kyle Gibson 2.0.