Lucas Giolito on waivers?

Hallas

8 hours ago, Hallas said:

I don't think anyone's going to fault them for extending Trout.  And they outbid everyone for Ohtani, who turned out amazingly for them too.  Trout is a homegrown talent as well.

Their problem was that they were paying the mummified corpse of Pujols a ton of money to do a lot of nothing for like 10 years during Trout's healthy MVP years.

The problem wasn't mainly Pujols. It was an inability to develop and acquire a baseball team. Pick a year from Trout's prime... 2017. That year they had 7 of 9 starters (per bb-ref) with OPS+es under 100. Their top four bench players had OPS+es of 94, 87, 73 and 56. They had the best player in the world and finished 11th in runs scored. 

Their innings pitched leader had an ERA of 4.92, their #3 a 5.35, and got a total of 33 starts from pitchers with an ERA under 4.00. Bud Norris was their closer. 6th in the league in runs allowed in a pitcher's park, with one of the higher payrolls in baseball. And they were the 2nd-oldest team in the AL.

Pujols was a symptom. They are Ishtar - get some stars, throw them out there and watch the magic happen!

• Upvote 1

This episode reminds me a little of the story about Marvin Miller and Charlie Finley back at the birth of free agency.     Maverick owner Finley was like "let's dance, make 'em all free agents", but Miller negotiated for the Goldilocks amount so "Carl Pavano" could be a big deal.

It also makes me think of '24 walk year Santander, and '25 Hays.    I expect those Orioles to be good teams, but if in this CBA 12 playoff seats induce more like 25 Clubs to try, for some of them they will be certainly busted contenders 5 weeks out.      What's the trade value of late Arb Hunter Renfroe or Harrison Bader?

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

This episode reminds me a little of the story about Marvin Miller and Charlie Finley back at the birth of free agency.     Maverick owner Finley was like "let's dance, make 'em all free agents", but Miller negotiated for the Goldilocks amount so "Carl Pavano" could be a big deal.

It also makes me think of '24 walk year Santander, and '25 Hays.    I expect those Orioles to be good teams, but if in this CBA 12 playoff seats induce more like 25 Clubs to try, for some of them they will be certainly busted contenders 5 weeks out.      What's the trade value of late Arb Hunter Renfroe or Harrison Bader?

After the reserve clause was overturned, Finley proposed that exactly.  Every player become a free agent every year recognizing that a flooded market would suppress prices. 
Marvin Miller was later quoted as bring terrified of that very proposal but knew other owners would not listen to Charley.

”Yes, we could not have just come out publicly opposing MORE freedom.  It would have set back what we were doing”  he said

Ultimately Miller manipulated and outthought the owners to get a limited release of free agents and contracts exponentially piggybacked on prior year contracts. 

Edited by tntoriole

They should look at the waiver trade deadline thing and consider bringing it back if this is why lousy teams like the Angels are going to do. Not cool to have useful players available based on standings when some of these teams are only a game or even a half game apart. Imagine your team moves ahead of a close competitor by a half game one night, setting the standings for waiver order, and then the next night that team moves right back in front of you, but not before they were able to claim multiple relievers to help a beleaguered bullpen. That’s not cool. 

Question - could, theoretically, one team claim all these players?  Or if you claim one do you moved to the back of the pack for the next one?

6 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

They should look at the waiver trade deadline thing and consider bringing it back if this is why lousy teams like the Angels are going to do. Not cool to have useful players available based on standings when some of these teams are only a game or even a half game apart. Imagine your team moves ahead of a close competitor by a half game one night, setting the standings for waiver order, and then the next night that team moves right back in front of you, but not before they were able to claim multiple relievers to help a beleaguered bullpen. That’s not cool. 

Question - could, theoretically, one team claim all these players?  Or if you claim one do you moved to the back of the pack for the next one?

I believe if you successfully claim one, you go to the bottom of the list. So, if no other teams put in claims, then yes one team could claim 5 guys.

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I believe if you successfully claim one, you go to the bottom of the list. So, if no other teams put in claims, then yes one team could claim 5 guys.

I didn't think about teams going to the bottom of the list after picking someone, I just figured the Reds would walk away with 3-4 new starters.  I guess someone useful could end up getting to the O's.

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Thanks, this makes the most sense to me as well. Still, any one of these guys can be very useful to the right time. Why have a trade deadline and then let this happen? The rule should be looked at this offseason. 

Imagine the Angels had put Ohtani on waivers - his contract situation is exactly the same as these guys. They wouldn’t, for various reasons, but what happens when a big star ends up on waivers at the end of August one year?  Hopefully they address it before then. 

23 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on when we will start hearing who claimed these guys? Have to imagine the teams competing for the Wild Card spots are going to scoop up anyone useful but you never know.

I believe tomorrow (8/31) is the deadline for the claimed player to be postseason-eligible, so I expect to hear in the next 36 hours.