Robo-Umps Now!

Uli2001

I read on X/Twitter/Whatever that Angel Hernandez missed 22 (twenty-two) calls in the game yesterday. There were pitches in the middle of the strike zone being called balls. (I don't know how/can't post images, otherwise I would.)

MLB had better get their business together. Fans will get fed up before long. This is not the 20th century, when there was no alternative and it was written off as "part of the game".

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

They'll get there someday, but fans and players/managers have known since the 1800's that umps make bad calls, often a lot of them. 

They already allow video review of safe/out call on the base paths. I have no idea why technology can't be used for balls/strikes.

Some of the umps are awful, but many of the umps are good.  They are now able to see the umpire scorecard.  Get rid of the umpires that consistently have poor scorecards and keep the ones that are  good.  I still like to see the skill of framing the ball that occurs with good catchers.  That is part of baseball. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They are still tweaking the electronic strike zone down in AAA.  My guess is it’s still at least a year away. 
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/triple-a-strike-zone-pitch-clock-being-tweaked-for-stretch-run/

As I understand it, it's actually going to be an oval zone, not the square we are used to seeing.

Here’s what I don’t understand.  Here’s how they are setting the top of the zone:

“For the top of the zone, the strike zone will be set as two baseballs above the midpoint of the measurements of a player’s left and right hips. That’s aimed to put the top of the zone near the belt-line.”

Now here’s the rule book:

“the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants -- when the batter is in his stance and prepared to swing at a pitched ball.”

That’s a huge difference.  How can they deliberately set the machine to call balls on pitches that legally are strikes?   Change the rule if you don’t like it.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s what I don’t understand.  Here’s how they are setting the top of the zone:

“For the top of the zone, the strike zone will be set as two baseballs above the midpoint of the measurements of a player’s left and right hips. That’s aimed to put the top of the zone near the belt-line.”

Now here’s the rule book:

“the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants -- when the batter is in his stance and prepared to swing at a pitched ball.”

That’s a huge difference.  How can they deliberately set the machine to call balls on pitches that legally are strikes?   Change the rule if you don’t like it.  

I wouldn't mind a rule change to make the strike zone fixed for all batters, regardless of height. They don't lower the basket in the NBA if you are short. It would make things easier for pitchers/catchers and I think hitters would adjust, with practice.