Pay the Man!

Dipper9

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could have already found out for yourself. It comes from how many runs above replacement he has been offensively and defensively. You can find the details yourself if you care to.

Obviously, I wasn't familiar with the website and you were, so I asked you to help me out. A little help would have been nice.

Interesting that you would choose that over the comparison which shows their total value.

Again, that's the first time I've looked at that website, and it was the easiest thing for me to find. And it's their version of value - which doesn't appear to make much sense - especially when you compare it to their graphs. You're the one who brought up the numbers. Is there any reason we should put any confidence in them having value?

Obviously, I wasn't familiar with the website and you were, so I asked you to help me out. A little help would have been nice.

Again, that's the first time I've looked at that website, and it was the easiest thing for me to find. And it's their version of value - which doesn't appear to make much sense - especially when you compare it to their graphs. You're the one who brought up the numbers. Is there any reason we should put any confidence in them having value?

Of course there's reason, it shows how many runs players are worth, now the defense is surely not perfect, but it's among the best available. BP and THT also show Brob to be more valuable, although the margin is not as high.

Those graphs that you were looking at don't reflect how many games played, defense, or steals among other things.

Of course there's reason, it shows how many runs players are worth, now the defense is surely not perfect, but it's among the best available. BP and THT also show Brob to be more valuable, although the margin is not as high.

What I've been asking is why should I believe that they're right - when logically - their numbers don't make sense?

What I've been asking is why should I believe that they're right - when logically - their numbers don't make sense?

Fangraphs is well-reputed and pretty well-respected. Most of our most stat-savvy posters love it (Drungo, 1970, BMoron, ugen among others).

They're solid, and rely on very good folks (Tom Tango, for instance.)

Fangraphs is well-reputed and pretty well-respected. Most of our most stat-savvy posters love it (Drungo, 1970, BMoron, ugen among others).

They're solid, and rely on very good folks (Tom Tango, for instance.)

I guess the problem I'm getting at is... When the numbers don't make sense, I want an explanation as to why. I need reasoning with the numbers.

And if someone has a higher number only because they played more... I'm not sure that's helpful. I'll give an example - I'm a basketball fan. The stats that I find most helpful aren't the per game stats. They're the per 40 minutes stats - because they tell a much better story about how effective players are going to be.

Archived