The O's are trading or releasing some relievers this off season

wildcard

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Was Akin optioned this year or just put on IL? He only had one option coming into this season. If he kept the option that probably saves his 40-man spot for now.

Tate and Lopez are non-tender candidates. Tate made $1.5M and Lopez $3.5M this year. They won’t get much in the way of raises going through arb again, but they probably don’t pay Tate unless they are confident he will make a full recovery. Lopez I think they definitely want to keep around but not sure how much they will seek to pinch pennies. 

Baumann is the guy most likely on thin ice for getting pushed out next year due to not having options.

Akin was optioned for 18 days.  No enough to use his option.   Then placed on the IL.

As much as I like Fuji, he has a 3.95 FIP as an Oriole. 169 relievers have thrown 10+ IP with a better FIP this year. I would be happy to bring Fuji back on a 1 year deal, but I don't even trust him with the 7th inning on opening day next year.

My bullpen next year before any acquisitions is Cano, Wells, Hall, Irvin, Webb, Coulombe, Perez, and Lopez.

Tate and Akin will be non-tendered, Baumann and Krehbiel will be DFAd. Vespi, Zimmermann, and Baker can be optioned.

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Jorge is making 3.5M this year and having a bad year.  Will he make more than 4M next year?   I think the O’s would be fine with that if they think they can get something close to the all-star version.   

Baker and Baumann are still in the picture.   As of today, I see next years pen as something like this.

Cano

Coulombe

Webb

Lopez

Hall

Baumann

Perez

Irvin

I don’t see Lopez coming back …no sense wasting $4 million on a guy who could be last year’s version but just as likely this years

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t see Lopez coming back …no sense wasting $4 million on a guy who could be last year’s version but just as likely this years

Maybe.  He was lights out beginning of this year.  I think his problems are mechanical and fixable.   Depends on what the Orioles think.   They could release/ non tender and resign him for less also.

SP - GR, Bradish, Means, Kremer, Wells

BP - Cano, Lopez, Coloumbe, Webb, Perez, Baumann, Irvin, Hall

Hall is your optionable piece as of now. Ideally we’d have 1-2 more optionable pieces. Especially if Hall becomes a “good” reliever. 

Depth - Baker, Vespi, Khreibel, Tate?, Akin?, Zimmerman, Voth?

It’s good to have experienced/familiar depth pieces as well. Lopez is the big decision and could clear up the roster jam if let go. He also is the most expensive. I could see us non-tendering him then giving him a O’Hearn type deal where he gets $1.5 million guaranteed. 

Elias will probably bring everyone to ST. Make a waiver claim or two, sign milb FA, and see where we’re at come the end of ST. Nobody saw Coloumbe being added via trade last year. Nobody saw the Scott and Sulser trade coming the year before. 

42 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Lopez isn’t making 4M with anyone. Can’t imagine the Os would make that same mistake they did with Givens.  Even if Lopez looks better here for a few outings, it doesn’t erase the whole season.

If he went on the FA market this offseason, he would be lucky to find a deal for half that and he probably wouldn’t sign until late January.

The Os brought him here this month because they obviously wanted to see him pitch with the idea of keeping him for 2024 but you can’t do that with an overpay. He is only worth so much money in the open market and that number isn’t close to 4M.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

God bless you guys.  With all due respect who cares about next year's bullpen right now?  Haha.

I’m in this camp.  I’ll worry about this topic when this season is over.   I’ll say this though - for a team that is going to win 100Ish games, there sure are a lot of issues about how next year’s roster will look.  Elias has a lot to think about and do this winter.   

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lopez isn’t making 4M with anyone. Can’t imagine the Os would make that same mistake they did with Givens.  Even if Lopez looks better here for a few outings, it doesn’t erase the whole season.

If he went on the FA market this offseason, he would be lucky to find a deal for half that and he probably wouldn’t sign until late January.

The Os brought him here this month because they obviously wanted to see him pitch with the idea of keeping him for 2024 but you can’t do that with an overpay. He is only worth so much money in the open market and that number isn’t close to 4M.

We could tender Lopez and do the old Miguel Gonzalez move in ST if he’s not looking good. I believe that move was that we could release him and only be responsible for 25% of the Arb number.