Celebrate the playoff clinch?

Winning_Season

14 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

As long as this will not impact tomorrow's game. I am divided here, it's a significant accomplishment to make the playoffs for the first time in 7 years (more like 9 years because 2016 was a play-in game). But on the other hand, there's a division to be won. As I said, if this celebration affects the team tomorrow, it was a mistake.

You're assuming that the celebration would affect the team negatively.

14 minutes ago, dzorange said:

You're assuming that the celebration would affect the team negatively.

It will absolutely have no bearing at all on what happens tonight, but you can bet your house the peanut gallery will be out in force if the O's lose tonight and say it was because they celebrated last night. Take it to the bank. This team is not mentally weak and the people who think that celebrating the playoff clinch is going to put them in a tailspin are projecting.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

So the subject was enough of a question to be worthy of a meeting between Hyde & team leadership prior to the game yesterday, but questioning the celebration and extent of it on a message board results in criticism and claims that someone is "angry" that the team is happy and celebrating.

I think we're lucky to sneak a peak behind the scenes into the managerial process. I would love to be a fly on the wall all the time to see and hear what we can't by just watching on TV or in person.

I guess I assume these types of conversations go on all over the league and we never really consider it. Did it happen in the TB side? Those guys have been to the playoffs 4-years running and are headed for #5 this season. They were ready to celebrate yesterday afternoon with a win.

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

It will absolutely have no bearing at all on what happens tonight, but you can bet your house the peanut gallery will be out in force if the O's lose tonight and say it was because they celebrated last night. Take it to the bank. This team is not mentally weak and the people who think that celebrating the playoff clinch is going to put them in a tailspin are projecting.

Yup.  I may have to avoid the Game Thread tonight haha.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

I seriously doubt John Means is complacent. Wednesday would be the two year anniversary of the last time he won a game. He'll be ready to go tonight and I'm sure the guys behind him want to get him in the win column too.

• Upvote 1

I am curious how different the celebration would have been if they had lost the game yesterday.

I definitely would have preferred an off-day today after the celebration yesterday, but it is what it is. 

Hopefully they can take care of business on the road this week, win 5 of 7 against Houston and Cleveland and clinch the division against the Nats.

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I am curious how different the celebration would have been if they had lost the game yesterday.

I definitely would have preferred an off-day today after the celebration yesterday, but it is what it is. 

Hopefully they can take care of business on the road this week, win 5 of 7 against Houston and Cleveland and clinch the division against the Nats.

It was posted earlier in this thread Hyde pulled Gibson and McCann in and discussed it with them on how they should proceed. If they lost, they weren't celebrating.

20 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Very, very different. 

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Read this too.  Sounds like they had the same idea the Orioles ended up with.  "If we clinch and we win, we'll celebrate."  

Which is a good line to draw, especially for the Rays, who’ve been in the playoffs 5 years in a row. 

• Upvote 1