High up on the list of things that drive me crazy…

Frobby

…is when a pitcher allows a HBP when he’s got two strikes on the hitter.  I swear, it feels like that’s the situation every time we hit a batter.  That’s not actually true, but what is true is that of the 59 times we’ve hit a batter, the better was ahead in the count only 7 times.   So, we’re hitting guys in counts that are even or where we have the upper hand.  It’s maddening.  Happened today with Webb on an 0-2 count and made the 7th inning much more tense than it needed to be.  

The actual numbers:

59 HBP

7 behind in the count 

22 even count

30 ahead in the count 

29 with two strikes

10 on 0-2 count

10 on 1-2 count

9 on 2-2 count

9 on first pitch  

8 minutes ago, Otter said:

Interesting.  I would suspect a lot of the 2 strike HBPs are due to the pitcher trying to bust one inside off the plate and follow up with something outside.

I was going to say the same thing.   The inside pitch is to set up the outside, off-speed pitch. 

4 hours ago, Otter said:

Interesting.  I would suspect a lot of the 2 strike HBPs are due to the pitcher trying to bust one inside off the plate and follow up with something outside.

I was going to post the same. I would bet that all pitchers throw HBP more often when they are ahead than when behind. And at 0-2, they are often taught since little league to "waste" one pitch. That's when HBP happens.