A thought (complaint) on scheduling

Moose Milligan

I've been beating this drum in the game threads over the past couple of days. 

But it's been noted on here by posters other than myself that we're in near the tail-end of 17 (SEVENTEEN) straight days of games without an off-day.  One poster (and I can't remember who, or I'd credit them) mentioned that he felt that the MLB scheduler didn't think we'd be a factor at this part of the season, so why not give the Orioles 17 games in a row in September?

17 games in a row is a grind at any part of the season and probably not a good idea but, IMO, much more in September when a team is 140~ games in and players are tired. 

I don't like making excuses for our guys because, to borrow a phrase, I like our guys.  They're professionals and they need to do their jobs no matter if they've had a rest or not.  And while I believe our bullpen is fairly thin on overall talent, I also believe 17 games in a row is more of a culprit as to why the bullpen is gassed.  

Tampa also went through a stretch of 17 games in a row earlier this month too, I'm not losing sight of that.  I just don't think it's a good idea for any team in the last month of a season to play that much in a row.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

But it's been noted on here by posters other than myself that we're in near the tail-end of 17 (SEVENTEEN) straight days of games without an off-day.  One poster (and I can't remember who, or I'd credit them) mentioned that he felt that the MLB scheduler didn't think we'd be a factor at this part of the season, so why not give the Orioles 17 games in a row in September?

17 games in a row is a grind at any part of the season and probably not a good idea but, IMO, much more in September when a team is 140~ games in and players are tired. 

I don't like making excuses for our guys because, to borrow a phrase, I like our guys.  They're professionals and they need to do their jobs no matter if they've had a rest or not.  And while I believe our bullpen is fairly thin on overall talent, I also believe 17 games in a row is more of a culprit as to why the bullpen is gassed.  

Tampa also went through a stretch of 17 games in a row earlier this month too, I'm not losing sight of that.  I just don't think it's a good idea for any team in the last month of a season to play that much in a row.

Isn't the last month of the season the best time to schedule a stretch like this?

You do have the slightly expanded roster.

Do you want to do it in April when the pitchers might not be fully stretched out and you have a bunch of issues with weather?  Do you want to do it in July and August when it is brutally hot in a lot of the country?

Ideally they shorten the season and just have more off days but that ain't happening.

Edited by Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't the last month of the season the best time to schedule a stretch like this?

You do have the slightly expanded roster.

Do you want to do it in April when the pitchers might not be fully stretched out and you have a bunch of issues with weather?  Do you want to do it in July and August when it is brutally hot in a lot of the country?

Ideally they shorten the season and just have more off days but that ain't happening.

Let me be clear:  I don't think it's a good idea any time of the season.  Especially with pitchers that are max-effort guys that are hitting triple digits on the radar gun with regularity.

We agree that shortening the season and having more off days would be good but that's not happening.  I'd propose to start the season a week earlier and extend a week on the back end with more off-days scattered throughout the regular season to break up stretches like this.

I also don't think a slightly expanded roster in September really alleviates anything.

• Upvote 2

It’s very annoying.  Saw this fatigue situation coming a mile away.  Honestly, even our most recent day off was a day to fly from Anaheim to Boston.  Not exactly relaxing.  

Well, suck it up, boys.  Elias made a bonehead move optioning Irvin during this stretch.   Now we’ll see what our guys are made of.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That was that totally cool, completely not forgettable, always insightful poster @Mooreisbetter27.

At that time, Corn did mention how difficult the scheduler's jobs were and I agree with that.  But it is a pretty brutal stretch at an inopportune time.  It doesn't help when you send your long guy down, like Frobby mentioned and you've got a guy you're trying to revitalize in the middle of the home stretch who can't seem to go above an inning without giving up a homerun or 2.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let me be clear:  I don't think it's a good idea any time of the season.  Especially with pitchers that are max-effort guys that are hitting triple digits on the radar gun with regularity.

We agree that shortening the season and having more off days would be good but that's not happening.  I'd propose to start the season a week earlier and extend a week on the back end with more off-days scattered throughout the regular season to break up stretches like this.

I also don't think a slightly expanded roster in September really alleviates anything.

Are you going to exclude cold weather cities from hosting games at the start of the year?

You want to see snow at games?

The season (with postseason) is pretty long as it is, can they afford to add another two weeks?

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am ok with this sort of thing if MLB gave a roster expansion for a team when there is over a certain amount of games in a row.  They could make it similar to the taxi squad for a double header. 

• Upvote 1