Friday, September 22: Orioles face Guardians and Shane Bieber (just off the IL)

SteveA

We should bring up some AAA position players to pitch, and just take every pitch looking (basically forfeit, except I don't think MLB will technically allow you to actually forfeit) and rest up for the wildcard series. No way in heck they're winning the division playing like the 2018 Orioles.

Every decent starter and pen arm and every decent position player should not be in a game until the wildcard. Let them go home, rest, take a breather, forget about baseball for 5 days, then sharpen up their skills as we get closer to the wc series.

Yes, I'm saying they should deliberately tank. Better than trying as hard as they can and still going to the WC.

Catcher Ryan McKenna, you're up.

Edited by allquixotic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• There’s a good chance McCann starts game one with Burnes. Big roster. We can always move Adley from DH to C late in the game. Lose the DH, but have a big enough bench to just pinch hit and double switch to hide the pitcher’s spot coming up.  So really we’d only be sacrificing 2 ABs from O’Hearn/Mounty/Kjerstad but we get Burnes throwing to his boy every pitch. 
    • We would have lost last night regardless due to zero runs scored by the offense. It is worrisome that Cano looked awful in back to back games. After talk about arm soreness. He has been the one reliable guy. Once we fell behind I don't really care how bad Bowman and Baker are. Hopefully they don't even make the roster for the playoffs. 
    • Don’t sleep on Povich getting a chance to eliminate the team that traded him away. That kind of stuff matters. The little extra…
    • I do worry about the McCann start although he has been hitting lately, so maybe you can justify it.
    • It’s the 7th inning with Burnes or Eflin on the bump. A tough lefty is coming up. Who you bringing in?  Perez or Coloumbe?  
    • My thoughts: - I agree that the Achilles heel is the bullpen and not the offense (especially with Westburg, Mountcastle, Urias, and Kjerstad back). - I also agree that Perez is overused in high leverage situations. This is going to come down to the degree you expect his “clutch” performance to be predictive going forward.  - I second the notion that most good bullpens are built with some degree of dumpster diving.  If you go back to offseason threads, there were not many desired bullpen FA targets (outside of unrealistic ones like Hader) that would have worked out well.  Maybe we haven’t “dumpster dived” well enough as evidenced by the success of Kaleb Ort in Houston. - Jacob Webb hasn’t been sharp since returning from the IL and Bowman has looked shaky his last few times out. - We don’t have a true closer, only a group of mostly effective set-up men in Dominguez, Cano, and Coulombe. - Part of me wishes they would be more aggressive with G-Rod and the Mountain. While we expect the team to continue to contend, you never really know how many times you’ll be back in the playoffs. However, I know in my head they are probably making the right decision. - I also feel like they should be auditioning McDermot, Selby, Young, or Strowd (who has been very good since August after rough Norfolk start). They could option Baker who I think is unlikely to have a path to trusted status after last year’s ALDS performance. This feeling may be mostly driven by dissatisfaction with the current state and wanting something better.  It might be unrealistic to expect options unproven at the MLB level to suddenly step in and be key playoff pieces.
    • Oh if we’re talking about what they will do, I can see it being something stupid like McCann at C and Adley at DH. I do think Mullins has enough veteranosity to outweigh Hyde’s obsession with L/R matchups. 
  • Popular Contributors