Saturday, Sept 23: Orioles at Guardians

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They aren't terrible it's just really hard to do.  With the velocity and movement these guys get.  It's stupid hard.

So yea, get robots to do it.

it is difficult but some umps are pretty decent at it.  However too many umps are not very good and that is a problem

Just now, spleen1015 said:

I think they'll go to the pitch review system that's in the minors before they do that.

Which to me is dumb.  Challenges are going to collectively take longer than the 0.1 second per pitch to relay a beep or buzz to the plate ump, and you get the improved accuracy on every pitch.  But, alas, umpire union will try to slow changes as much as possible.

Just now, Morgan423 said:

Which to me is dumb.  Challenges are going to collectively take longer than the 0.1 second per pitch to relay a beep or buzz to the plate ump, and you get the improved accuracy on every pitch.  But, alas, umpire union will try to slow changes as much as possible.

It's not that bad. Might take 20 secs.

Just now, TimD said:

it is difficult but some umps are pretty decent at it.  However too many umps are not very good and that is a problem

I think that folks here LOVE to complain about the strike zone and the next day, when the scorecards come out, they don't say a peep because most of the time, the Ump actually did a pretty good job.

The best is when folks bitch about it all game and the next day's scorecard shows the Ump actually favored the O's.