Looper a Brewer, one year deal with option

O's are Legends

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that is WAY too pessimistic, IMO. Is there massive uncertainty here? Yes, of course. But uncertainty in this case will probably be resolved with some guys disappointing, whereas others will exceed expectations to varying degrees. The SS situation last year had no such upside glimmer.

Let's not sugarcoat this. The O's are taking a risk. I don't think any of us expected the SS situation last year to be as bad as it was. I think most felt we'd have somewhat above average defense and very weak offense at the position. As it turned out, even the defense was bad. This situation with the pitchers is similar. We have to acknowledge that if this strategy goes poorly, the outcome could be extremely bad, at least as far as 2009 is concerned. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way, but it could.

Wow, that is WAY too pessimistic, IMO. Is there massive uncertainty here? Yes, of course. But uncertainty in this case will probably be resolved with some guys disappointing, whereas others will exceed expectations to varying degrees. The SS situation last year had no such upside glimmer.

Putting on my calendar to talk to you in May about this. I think I am being realistic. Hope things are better then I see now, but I think there will be a lot of movement in the rotation over the summer.

Let's not sugarcoat this. The O's are taking a risk. I don't think any of us expected the SS situation last year to be as bad as it was. I think most felt we'd have somewhat above average defense and very weak offense at the position. As it turned out, even the defense was bad. This situation with the pitchers is similar. We have to acknowledge that if this strategy goes poorly, the outcome could be extremely bad, at least as far as 2009 is concerned. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way, but it could.
True to some extent that the SS situation turned out even more disastrous than most of us expected last year; and the same could conceivably occur this year with the pitching. It's not beyond the realm of possibility. But trying to remain as objective as possible (excuse me for a moment while I slurp down a little more of this Kool-Aid -- ah, that was good) ... I like the quality, depth of quality, potential quality, however one might best characterize it, of this group of 37 pitchers a whole heckuva lot more than what we had in the Boom Booms and Faheys and LHs that we ran through last year. No guarantees here -- and Lord knows I've been wrong many times before when I let my optimistic streak get a hold of me. But I don't think it's nearly as bleak as a lot of posters are fearing. So please let me enjoy my Tug McGraw "Ya gotta believe" moment. :D

Putting on my calendar to talk to you in May about this. I think I am being realistic. Hope things are better then I see now, but I think there will be a lot of movement in the rotation over the summer.
I've already got the crow thawing -- but hoping that I'll be able to toss it by the time May comes around! :D

Good chance this is true but so what? Many teams have a lot of movement in their rotation every year.

And signing Looper wouldn't have guaranteed less movement anyway.

Good chance this is true but so what? Many teams have a lot of movement in their rotation every year.

And signing Looper wouldn't have guaranteed less movement anyway.

He would have filled a starting spot all year. Probably have a mid 4's ERA.

The O's are counting on some guys to step up. And some probably will. But I doubt that 4 pitchers do. If two do that would be three spots that are good and two that are exchanging pitchers.

However if the same two do and the O's had Guthrie and Looper that would have been 4 spots covered. One spot exchanging players. That could have worked pretty well.

Right now I see a 5.30 ERA for the staff. I hope ST makes me feel better about how it will go.

The focus will be on the pitching on the farm this year.

The O's are counting on some guys to step up. And some probably will. But I doubt that 4 pitchers do. If two do that would be three spots that are good and two that are exchanging pitchers.

However if the same two do and the O's had Guthrie and Looper that would have been 4 spots covered. One spot exchanging players. That could have worked pretty well.

Right now I see a 5.30 ERA for the staff. I hope ST makes me feel better about how it will go.

I just got finished drinking a big 'ole glass of Orange Koolaid and just wanted to remind everyone that pitchers and catchers report this weekend. Its not snowing here and a new season, one where there is a ton of intrigue because of all the uncertainty and new faces around is about to begin. Everyone just needs to take a breath and chill. We are freaking out over the loss of friggin Braden Looper. AM has made me care about the O's from his moves this offseason. I am excited to see what happens. Will we fall on our faces again? Maybe, but its not like any of us are expecting Huff or Markakis to be hoisting the World Series Trophy this OCT/NOV. I agree that if every new guy we bring in stinks up the joint, it will be a long summer... but I cant see everyone sucking, a few will have to surprise. I dont think that anyone can dispute that the general plan that AM has been implementing is A) the right direction and B) much different than what got us into a decade of losing. Some might not like a signing here or a non-signing there but overall, you gotta give AM his due. I would like to thank AM for making me care about baseball again. I just want to see players who play hard and do the right things fundamentally. If we lose every game, then so be it. Not trying to tick anybody off, just wanted to relay what I feel are the positives in this situation.:)

I agree that Looper would have added some stability to the staff. That's why I favored signing him for two years, if necessary, for insurance against burning out the bullpen and to avoid the temptation to rush our young prospects.

But who knows if he would have signed with us even if we had offered two years? That's water under the bridge, anyway.

Nevertheless, the need remains. We are rebuilding, so we don't necessarily need someone to win games. What we need is someone who can go five or six innings per start on a fairly consistent basis and pitch 180-190 innings with a decent ERA.

Maybe AM has another deal working for a SP who matches the job description. Let's hope so because we need one more starter for 2009, IMO.

I think you are a little too optimistic on Looper and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up with an injury this year either.

I agree that Looper would have added some stability to the staff. That's why I favored signing him for two years, if necessary, for insurance against burning out the bullpen and to avoid the temptation to rush our young prospects.

But who knows if he would have signed with us even if we had offered two years? That's water under the bridge, anyway.

Nevertheless, the need remains. We are rebuilding, so we don't necessarily need someone to win games. What we need is someone who can go five or six innings per start on a fairly consistent basis and pitch 180-190 innings with a decent ERA.

Maybe AM has another deal working for a SP who matches the job description. Let's hope so because we need one more starter for 2009, IMO.

I think at this point, MacPhail will wait until the end of spring training before deciding if he needs more pitching help.

Archived