Feeling Nostalgic about the 70's

Sanity Check

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Let me first apologize to those not old enough to have experienced the following experiences from the 70's, since these might only apply to those of us who are 50+......did anyone else on here enjoy these??

1. The Oriole bird comic drawings on the front page of the Sunpaper the morning after every game, capturing the result of the game and either showing the cartoon Bird beating up the other team, or getting somehow destroyed by them depending on the outcome of the previous day's game.

2. The line scores on the front page of sports section the morning after a west coast game, where the first 4 or 5 innings were in Sunpaper print font, and the last few innings and game totals were literally written in before the paper was printed.

3. The weekly Sporting News Magazine filled with box scores from the entire week.  I'm an accountant. in real life.....and back then, I lived for that stuff.

4. The Baseball crossword puzzles in the Baseball Digest......

Anyone remember those days??  Any others people would like to add??? 

Growing up in Rochester I didn't get the Sun but followed the O's, my favorite team, having seen many of the team coming through the Rochester Red Wings.  Of course, back then, there was that annual O's visit that you could not miss.  

I forgot the West Coast games.  They rarely made it to the paper at all. I was annoyed with only the first few innings being in there but never remember it being some big tragic situation as I could imagine a few minutes would be these days, but I digress.

Baseball probably helped me more with math than many classes. My skills from spending hours with stats still serve me well decades later.

Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

I can’t speak about the Sun, but in those days the Post would print a full list of all the stats of the qualified batters and pitchers every Sunday, and I’d spend at least an hour looking at them every week.  The batter list was in BA order (OBP? SLG? What’s that?), while the pitcher list was in ERA order.  As a 4th grader, our teacher actually taught us how to divide a larger number into a smaller number by giving us a copy the final 1967 list from the paper and having us calculate the batting averages by dividing the at bats into the hits for every player.  My lifetime fascination with baseball stats stems from that exercise, and to this day I remember a lot of stats from that particular season.  

• Upvote 4

Speaking of late games, I remember that Frank Robinson hit his 500th homer in a game that was too late for the box score to be in the paper.  So, at the end of the week, I rode my bike 6-7 miles round trip to the local drug store to buy The Sporting News so I could have that box score.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Speaking of late games, I remember that Frank Robinson hit his 500th homer in a game that was too late for the box score to be in the paper.  So, at the end of the week, I rode my bike 6-7 miles round trip to the local drug store to buy The Sporting News so I could have that box score.  

That's pretty cool.  I'm sure you remember the game against the Senators when he hit grand slams in back to back innings in 1970. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Didn't they print the box score from late games the next day?

I lived in the Harrisburg PA area and the Harrisburg paper (Patriot News) printed a morning addition and an evening edition. Luckily my parents got the evening edition and i always got the box scores for all the games?

39 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Let me first apologize to those not old enough to have experienced the following experiences from the 70's, since these might only apply to those of us who are 50+......did anyone else on here enjoy these??

1. The Oriole bird comic drawings on the front page of the Sunpaper the morning after every game, capturing the result of the game and either showing the cartoon Bird beating up the other team, or getting somehow destroyed by them depending on the outcome of the previous day's game.

2. The line scores on the front page of sports section the morning after a west coast game, where the first 4 or 5 innings were in Sunpaper print font, and the last few innings and game totals were literally written in before the paper was printed.

3. The weekly Sporting News Magazine filled with box scores from the entire week.  I'm an accountant. in real life.....and back then, I lived for that stuff.

4. The Baseball crossword puzzles in the Baseball Digest......

Anyone remember those days??  Any others people would like to add??? 

I have my own, personal, somewhat parallel nostalgia. I started following baseball, and especially the Phillies, in 1957, when I was 5. While I was sleeping, my father left me a note with the final score of night games, sometimes a line score, and brief game highlights. Those notes kept me abreast of the Phillies' progress -- led by remnants from the 1950 pennant-winning Whiz Kids and ROY runner-up Ed Bouchee (convicted of indecent exposure in the '57-58 off-season), they finished at .500. The notes also were a big inducement to my learning to read and to do simple arithmetic. (I dimly recall memorizing the spelling of "Musial.")  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I have my own, personal, somewhat parallel nostalgia. I started following baseball, and especially the Phillies, in 1957, when I was 5. While I was sleeping, my father left me a note with the final score of night games, sometimes a line score, and brief game highlights. Those notes kept me abreast of the Phillies' progress -- led by remnants from the 1950 pennant-winning Whiz Kids and ROY runner-up Ed Bouchee (convicted of indecent exposure in the '57-58 off-season), they finished at .500. The notes also were a big inducement to my learning to read and to do simple arithmetic. (I dimly recall memorizing the spelling of "Musial.")  

My Dad did the same thing.....he's write out the line score and the runs, hits and errors totals and tape them to the back of my bedroom door, where I'd find them when I woke up.

• Upvote 1

Before my teenage years when I started buying all the baseball publications I could get my hands on, I religiously watched This Week In Baseball. I was legitimately disappointed if the family had plans and I missed it.

Like Frobby, I also sat for hours reading the list of qualified hitters and pitchers in the Sunday sports section. “Wow, look at that average on Madlock!” 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

That's pretty cool.  I'm sure you remember the game against the Senators when he hit grand slams in back to back innings in 1970. 

This is a very special memory for me. I couldn't wait for my mother to get home from work to tell her about it , so I ran down the street meeting her as she walked home from work. She was certain I was mistaken ! Yes, she was a big fan herself.

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

A neighborhood kid called me to tell me that Frank had just hit his second GS.  I listened to the rest of the game on the radio but nothing else much happened.  

3 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Before my teenage years when I started buying all the baseball publications I could get my hands on, I religiously watched This Week In Baseball. I was legitimately disappointed if the family had plans and I missed it.

Like Frobby, I also sat for hours reading the list of qualified hitters and pitchers in the Sunday sports section. “Wow, look at that average on Madlock!” 

TWIB Notes, Baby!!!

• Upvote 1