International League Playoffs: Durham @ Norfolk

cboemmeljr

2 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Anyone know why Zimmerman was pulled as the starter after 45 pitches and just one earned run? Did he leave with bases loaded or something? 

Zimmermann left after 2 complete innings.  The plan was for Stallings to piggy-back off Zimmerman's start.  I believe the plan was for Bruce to go 3 innings but he threw 41 pitches (24 strikes) in 2 innings.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cboemmeljr said:

Zimmermann left after 2 complete innings.  The plan was for Stallings to piggy-back off Zimmerman's start.  I believe the plan was for Bruce to go 3 innings but he threw 41 pitches (24 strikes) in 2 innings.

Thanks. I was just wondering if he was being considered to be brought up to the O's pen later this week. But that explains it. 

A couple of random thoughts from watching a few innings of the game:

Mayo at 1B in game 1 of a championship series.  Development > winning?  Maybe for a Mountcastle back-up in the 2023 playoffs?

Vespi and McFarland looked completely lost and they weren't helped by the defense.  Vespi walked the bases loaded.  With 1 out, a grounder to a drawn in Holliday.  He fielded it cleanly, then short-hopped the throw home that would have been an easy force out.  Then McFarland continued to hand out the free passes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Mayo at 1B in game 1 of a championship series.  Development > winning?  Maybe for a Mountcastle back-up in the 2023 playoffs?

After making 4 errors in his last 8 games at 3B going into the last series of the year, Mayo played 3 games at 1B and 3 at 3B in that last series. Starting at 1B in the playoffs certainly suggests they may be considering 1B as his long term position with the Orioles, most likely as soon as next season. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Cole Irvin listed as the probable for tonight, as a last AAA audition for a bullpen role now, and to set a tone for the SP5 derby this offseason and next spring.

Since some have said that he might pitch in Sunday's game, should we clinch the division prior to that, (!), I'm anxious to see how he does tonight.  

• Upvote 1

Exciting game. I know the O's played, but it's legal to have 2 TV's.  😆

Irvin was really good; 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 5 K's. Voth was lights out; 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 9 K's.  Neither allowed a BB.  Voth retired 8 straight via the K at one point.  Baker was shaky & Krehbiel was a little wild but his CH was on.  

Stowers a 1B away from the cycle, Holiday with 2 hits, Ortiz back in the lineup with 2 hits and 3 RBI's, Mayo with another HR.

Winner take all Thursday! 

Edited by HuskerFan