Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

Sun.

With their lease expiring in five weeks, the Orioles and the state are considering separating out the complex — and potentially contentious — issue of stadium-area development rights and proceeding for now with a scaled-down lease binding the team to Baltimore for the long term, according to two people with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

Such an approach would represent a pivot from a nonbinding memorandum of understanding the parties signed Sept. 27 calling for not only keeping the team at Camden Yards for at least 30 more years, but granting the Orioles rights to develop land around Camden Yards, including the warehouse and Camden Station.

Moving forward on a lease alone — the parties call it a “facilities use agreement” — could have political and practical advantages for first-year Gov. Wes Moore, allowing him to follow through on his assurances that a binding agreement will be in place before the current two-year lease extension expires Dec. 31. The two officials, who declined to be named because of the sensitive nature of negotiations, cautioned that the talks remained fluid and that no decision has been made on the proposal.

So this way don't need legislative approval and these three only ,which is basically a rubber stamp. 

The General Assembly does not convene until Jan. 10.

A lease by itself would be subject to approval of the Board of Public Works, whose members are Moore, Comptroller Brooke Lierman and state Treasurer Dereck Davis. All three are Democrats. Its last meeting of the year is Dec. 13, although a special session could be called after that.

Just by signing a lease, the Orioles would unlock a promised $600 million of new state funds for improvements at the ballpark, but the club wants even more, including a new state fund to help it with upkeep and development rights to key parcels around the complex.

The state already has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the ballpark for the privately owned club, according to state records, including $450 million on construction and financing and $125 million to help maintain the stadium. An estimated $121 million in property taxes also were not collected because Camden Yards is state-owned. And even more money has been spent on capital improvements at Oriole Park, but the Maryland Stadium Authority declined to share that state spending on a state-owned asset.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s very weird being both a rabid Orioles fan and a Maryland taxpayer.   Anything that keeps the Orioles in Baltimore long term and is financially good for the team is something that benefits me as a fan, but the taxpayer side of me really wants to see the MSA to tell Angelos to go F himself.   Anyway, I suspect a lot of these benefits will enrich the owners but not benefit the baseball team.   

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, you jaded old man!!!!!!!!!!! SURELY you don't think there are any crony shenanigans going on here hahahahahahahaha.......

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s very weird being both a rabid Orioles fan and a Maryland taxpayer.   Anything that keeps the Orioles in Baltimore long term and is financially good for the team is something that benefits me as a fan, but the taxpayer side of me really wants to see the MSA to tell Angelos to go F himself.   Anyway, I suspect a lot of these benefits will enrich the owners but not benefit the baseball team.   

The MSA head is picked by the Governor. The Hogan pick was a long time supporter and chairman of his campaign. The Moore pick is also a supporter and buddy. The MSA will never deviate from what the governor wants. Moore is also besties with John. As for the taxpayers, they  up some creek that has toxic waste .

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My hope is that the lease and development rights negotiations get split. Sign the lease, or "facilities use agreement", or whatever they want to call it prior to 12/31/23. Then hope that the General Assembly votes no on the development rights issue when they come back in January.

41 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

My hope is that the lease and development rights negotiations get split. Sign the lease, or "facilities use agreement", or whatever they want to call it prior to 12/31/23. Then hope that the General Assembly votes no on the development rights issue when they come back in January.

Angelos probably won’t allow them to be decoupled.