Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

What happens if the state and Orioles can't come to a deal by Dec 31st?

MSA executive director Michael Fenz said he'd expect them to go to a "month-to-month" agreement.  

"I, mean, certainly, we're not going to kick them out on 12/31 or January 1."

Ok so that is somewhat reassuring.  The O's will just be free to use the facilities on a month to month basis.  Yay?

😑

Good lord. We're now at a point where "year-to-year" was too optimistic. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Agreed. Just stating a historical fact about Mr. Jacobs since you brought him up. Also it is interesting in the first few years at Camden Yards ,that the Orioles played with a MOA.I don't think they will do that at the end of the year 

The team yesterday agreed to a 30-year lease for Oriole Park at Camden Yards, tying up a legal loose end under which the team has been occupying its new home this season without a formal lease.

The 190-page lease makes official virtually all of the terms under which the Orioles have been using the stadium, which were set out in a 46-page "memorandum of agreement" signed by the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority in 1988.

You realize that the O’s didn’t move to Camden Yards until 1992, right?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You realize that the O’s didn’t move to Camden Yards until 1992, right?

Yes. I meant last few years at Memorial Stadium with just a MOA.Edward Bennett Williams signed off on a 15 year lease in principle.The first year at Camd3n Yards was so successful and the lease had things more advantageous for the Orioles, they  went to a 30 year lease.

Just now, Going Underground said:

Yes. I meant last few years at Memorial Stadium with just a MOA.Edward Bennett Williams signed off on a 15 year lease in principle.The first year at Camd3n Yards was so successful and the lease had things more advantageous for the Orioles, they  went to a 30 year lease.

At the time, I’m sure the owners thought they’d died and gone to heaven.  By far the nicest ballpark in America (then), and selling out almost every game.  They weren’t doing the MSA a favor by occupying that stadium, they were reaping great benefits from it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, interloper said:

Good lord. We're now at a point where "year-to-year" was too optimistic. 

My read on that is an additional year lease would be too cumbersome and unnecessary. They really only need an additional month, to allow for the General Assembly to meet in January and approve the development rights deal. A monthly lease would be better suited in this case, assuming the GA approves the terms outlined in the "Memorandum of Understanding".

I just thought of something.  Have the development rights surrounding the stadium been tied to John Angelos or the Orioles?  JA could be trying to tie the development rights to the Orioles to increase the sale price of the team, knowing it is much more likely to be approved if it is benefitting the O's vs. just JA. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I just thought of something.  Have the development rights surrounding the stadium been tied to John Angelos or the Orioles?  JA could be trying to tie the development rights to the Orioles to increase the sale price of the team, knowing it is much more likely to be approved if it is benefitting the O's vs. just JA. 

Given recent news. I think state will be less likely to give in to these demands.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What recent news is that?

If Angelos is selling the team and backlash is already starting building against what John is demanding for a lease renewal. I don't expect the state to give up land that he wanted to build essentially orioles baseball village. Especially with rumor structure deficit state budget will have in next few years.

Edited by Oriolesfan1988

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It’s tied to the Orioles.  Angelos is not personally a party to the MOU.