Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

33 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Has there been any timetable on when the stadium renovations would begin, or when plans will be presented? Looks like the Ravens are starting their renovations this upcoming off season. 

The plans to develop the surrounding land are due by 2027 i think.

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Sell the naming rights. What it’s named is irrelevant. 

Perhaps to you. Few things feel more soul-less to me than a corporate sponsored stadium name. I hope they continue to avoid it. It's not like JA would spend the money on the on-field product anyway.

8 minutes ago, deward said:

Perhaps to you. Few things feel more soul-less to me than a corporate sponsored stadium name. I hope they continue to avoid it. It's not like JA would spend the money on the on-field product anyway.

The current name is already an example of corporate advertising.  Place should have been called Camden Yards from day one.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The current name is already an example of corporate advertising.  Place should have been called Camden Yards from day one.

True, but at least naming a park after the team has a logical connection to what it's used for. And I couldn't agree more, Camden Yards was always the best name, adding Oriole Park was a dumb compromise. 

1 hour ago, fansince1988 said:

Has there been any timetable on when the stadium renovations would begin, or when plans will be presented? Looks like the Ravens are starting their renovations this upcoming off season. 

They need to get financing like the Ravens did. It took about five months to get the bonds and the bank loan finalized. The Orioles signed the lease about one and a half weeks before the Ravens did last year. So obviously nothing major this coming year. They did build the wall during the offseason with a rent subsidy from the MSA. I know some discusses about what the Orioles wanted awhile  back with an open concourse and fewer seats ,especially under the overhang in the  the lower deck. Everything will probably change somewhat. I was wondering if they might have to play some games at National Park or elsewhere, if some of the major  renovations take longer over the winter due to delays for weather, etc.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They need to get financing like the Ravens did. It took about five months to get the bonds and the bank loan finalized. The Orioles signed the lease about one and a half weeks before the Ravens did last year. So obviously nothing major this coming year. They did build the wall during the offseason with a rent subsidy from the MSA. I know some discusses about what the Orioles wanted awhile  back with an open concourse and fewer seats ,especially under the overhang in the  the lower deck. Everything will probably change somewhat. I was wondering if they might have to play some games at National Park or elsewhere, if some of the major  renovations take longer over the winter due to delays for weather, etc.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but open concourses are overrated. It's one of the things that I hate the most about PNC Park in Pittsburgh. It makes it feel like an unfinished minor league stadium. Using funding to do stadium repairs or maybe upgrade the scoreboard / sound system is perfectly fine, but there's literally nothing that needs to or should change in terms of the general layout/structure of OPACY. It's a perfect and timeless stadium in that regard and should be treated as such. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Speaking of development they can demolish this hotel and get a nice piece of land.

Baltimore Hilton faces ‘catastrophic structural failures’ if pipes aren’t fixed - The Baltimore Banner
https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/economy/businesses/baltimore-hilton-LBRSOIHRLBALBCPCMNH5LUVDGU/

I'm tempted to rent a room and take a wrench to a pipe just to do my part. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Am I the only one who's only ever referred to as Camden Yards ever since it was built? I've never once said that I'm going to "Oriole Park at Camden Yards". It's always been Camden Yards to me and will continue to be regardless of what silly name they try to put in front of it. 

• Upvote 1