Felix Bautista to have Tommy John Surgery, likely to miss all of 2024

Orioles Jim

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Must be. I have never read up on this. I’m sure I can find out the answer in a 2 second google search. 

I was just thinking about it today for some reason. Just odd to me that it takes this long but obviously if they could get guys back sooner, they would.

Ligaments are weird. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

For one thing, they are replacing a ligament with a tendon.  That’s weird in and of itself.  

Meister did Purdy’s surgery and he was throwing in 3 months. I wonder if it’s possible Felix got that version instead of traditional TJ. 

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/why-purdys-elbow-surgery-could-be-blessing-in-disguise/1464736/#

34 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I think he's referring to flexor tendon surgery like Tarik Skubal got which has a shorter recovery timetable as opposed to Tommy John surgery like Means got.

I see and I don't know anything about the difference between the two.

I was just referring to the fact that physically throwing a football is far less demanding on the arm than throwing a baseball because of the mechanics of it.  In fact, throwing a football is part of the recovery process for a pitcher recovering from TJ, and it is done well, well in advance of a return to competitive pitching.