Miggy in trouble

OriolesMagic11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume that with the plea bargain he's not facing anything more than fines or maybe community service. Still, I don't understand how lying to congressional staffers can be a crime. I mean, you can lie to police as long as you're not in court and under oath, but you can't lie to some kid who happens to work for a congressman? How does that make sense? Had he sworn some type of oath before being interviewed?

And per ESPN, he's pleading guilty as well.

I hope he has a good immigration attorney.

If this is a lying to Congress case regarding obstruction of justice then his residency and work permit status could be in jeopardy. Both (lying to Congress and obstruction of justice) are grounds for considering Miggy guilty of moral turpitude which can result in getting one's visa revoked. Although Uncle Sam may ignore the visa implications for Miggy now, when his visa does expire, and he has to appy for a new one, it could get very sticky for him and is an exceptionally easy way for the government to make an example of a high profile player.

The entire war on drugs is a farce. My tax dollars are paying for people to charge him with these crimes. The .gov should have bigger fish to fry.

Trillion dollar deficits and they spend money on this garbage. No wonder this country is in trouble.

This type of thing is precisely what they use to keep our minds off all the bigger mismanagement of our government. The worse the economy gets, and the more stupid the government programs to try to fix the economy get, the more the news is all about Michael Phelps's pot and ARod's juice. Not to mention Jessica Simpson's weight gain. :rolleyes:

This type of thing is precisely what they use to keep our minds off all the bigger mismanagement of our government. The worse the economy gets, and the more stupid the government programs to try to fix the economy get, the more the news is all about Michael Phelps's pot and ARod's juice. Not to mention Jessica Simpson's weight gain. :rolleyes:

Those kind of nefarious schemes will never distract me from the real priorities of the day. I'm focused in on the Rihanna/Chris Brown story...

I would assume that with the plea bargain he's not facing anything more than fines or maybe community service. Still, I don't understand how lying to congressional staffers can be a crime. I mean, you can lie to police as long as you're not in court and under oath, but you can't lie to some kid who happens to work for a congressman? How does that make sense? Had he sworn some type of oath before being interviewed?

Is that so? I always thought lying to the police could lead to obstruction charges.

In fact, I'm sure it does.

Why? He lied to Congress. He'll get what he deserves.

See this is where I have an issue. Congress had/has no business investigating steriods in baseball. Yes, he lied. Yes, he'll pay the price. I get that. Yet there was NO need for him to be in the position to decide between lying to Congress and sabotaging his career.

Archived