Cold Bats Heading into the Playoffs

Sanity Check

Am I the only person who is not overly encouraged by our bats going into the playoffs?  Since the Cardinals series, possibly before that, we have not been hitting consistently or scoring a lot of runs.  Our pitching has been carrying us, and we will only go as far as they take us.  I expect most of our young hitters will have struggles similar to Eddie Murray in the 1979 post season.....I just don't think they are up for the challenge this year  Next year?  Maybe.  But I'm not feeling an offense with momentum as we finish the year, and it's not something you can just turn on and turn off.  Momentum breeds confidence, and confidence breeds strong run production.

Nick Pivetta, Kutter Crawford and Tanner Houck just showed how vulnerable we are......and they aren't exactly elite pitchers.  We will need to beat pitchers just as good, if not better in the playoffs.  I'm not feeling it.

Please tell me what I'm missing.......

• Upvote 1

To add context, we got 4 hits in 19 innings off of those three Red Sox pitchers mentioned above.  And please don't try to tell me that our guys really weren't trying very hard, because that's not something I would believe.....and I hope no one else would really believe that either.

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

To add context, we got 4 hits in 19 innings off of those three Red Sox pitchers mentioned above.  And please don't try to tell me that our guys really weren't trying very hard, because that's not something I would believe.....and I hope no one else would really believe that either.

The question you have to ask yourself is do you believe that they played the string out with the same intensity that they did up until they clinched the division? If you believe that, then yes, be very afraid.  

I didn't like the sloppy defense, but whatever, for all intents and purposes these were exhibition games designed to optimize work/rest, not to win. I have about the same level of concern as if we split four games in spring training. If Bradish's start was a sign of anything, we have nothing to worry about. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They've got a five day layoff.

Does it matter if the bats or hot or cold with that kind of layoff?

People need to calm down.

Bats don't tend to get hotter during a layoff, dude.  How is that even possible.  Maybe we can "hope" they come out of the layoff smokin' hot, but you don't get "hot" when you're not playing.  I'm equally concerned about us having to play a team that potentially just really did get hot during their series prior to playing us.  That's where momentum is built.  Layoffs just rest us, they don't build any kind of momentum.

And, I refuse to calm down 🤓

• Upvote 1

The 1971 Orioles, winners of 101 just like us, won their last 11 games in regular season, went right past the As then … lost 4/7 to Pirates 

In fact, after winning 3 straight over As and first 2 over Pirates, they had won 16 in a row.. then lost 4 out of 5 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They've got a five day layoff.

Does it matter if the bats or hot or cold with that kind of layoff?

People need to calm down.

This should have ended the thread. 

They could have scored 50 runs in this 4 game series and it means nothing after a long layoff.