Cold Bats Heading into the Playoffs

Sanity Check

Look, this year we are playing with house money. NO ONE thought we would be here. This is a first for most of this team. Here is where I am. My expectations are nil. I'm just so proud of this team, whatever. If they crap the bed, life will go on and I'll chalk it up to well they got the experience to build on. If they surprise, well these guys have shown the ability to really do what no one thought they could.  Going to be a long week till Saturdy and then we will see.........

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Os in 1966 lost 5 of their last 7 games of the season , shut out twice, including a 1-0 loss in the season finale. 

They then swept the Dodgers in 4 straight. 

Again.....check the numbers and what I said....if the pitching carries us (like the O's in 1966) we might be fine.  Truth is, in two of those wins, we scored only 1 run because our pitchers threw shutouts.  In game 1, most of the runs we did score were courtesy of Willie Davis not being able to catch two fly balls, and lastly, Moe Drabowsky is not in out bullpen this time around.

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The 1971 Orioles, winners of 101 just like us, won their last 11 games in regular season, went right past the As then … lost 4/7 to Pirates 

In fact, after winning 3 straight over As and first 2 over Pirates, they had won 16 in a row.. then lost 4 out of 5 

Momentum is only as good as tomorrow's starting pitcher. - Earl Weaver

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

But we didn't really hit well in that World Series!  😀

They didn't need to.  The Orioles only used 4 pitchers in the entire World Series, consisting of 3 complete game shutouts against the Dodgers.  Absolute domination from the mound.  

The really odd thing is the 1970 Orioles did the same thing … won their last 11 games, swept 3 from Twins, then won first 3 against Reds to extend streak to 17 before losing game 4 on Watt surrender of Lee May hr 

So, it is a mixed bag.. hot/cold .. it’s playoff baseball baby!! Enjoy the ride !! 

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Again.....check the numbers and what I said....if the pitching carries us (like the O's in 1966) we might be fine.  Truth is, in two of those wins, we scored only 1 run because our pitchers threw shutouts.  In game 1, most of the runs we did score were courtesy of Willie Davis not being able to catch two fly balls, and lastly, Moe Drabowsky is not in out bullpen this time around.

Apples and oranges .. my point is that we have won WS going into them cold or hot and have lost WS going in cold or hot 

Doubt Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale will be on the mound lol 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Look, this year we are playing with house money. NO ONE thought we would be here. This is a first for most of this team. Here is where I am. My expectations are nil. I'm just so proud of this team, whatever. If they crap the bed, life will go on and I'll chalk it up to well they got the experience to build on. If they surprise, well these guys have shown the ability to really do what no one thought they could.  Going to be a long week till Saturdy and then we will see.........

Bingo....this is where I am.  I won't be disappointed if/when we get knocked out of the playoffs.  My expectations are not that high for this team, solely because this is new territory for them.  They almost need to end this season with a bad taste in their mouth to get hungry for the upcoming years, and the work it takes to be a perennial winner.

But, if they shock the world and win it all, I will eat the crow that will be awaiting me.

I was waiting for this thread to pop up. And yes, I'm very concerned.

Last ten games prior to today:

Gunnar .200 / .273 / .350

Hicks .174 / .345 / .217

Hays .161 / .257 / .355

Frazier .136 / .269 / .182

O'Hearn .135 / .200 / .243

Mullins .088 / .162 / .118

I might move Gunnar further down the lineup, and stick Adley (.513 OB% last ten games) back in the top spot. 

7 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I was waiting for this thread to pop up. And yes, I'm very concerned.

Last ten games prior to today:

Gunnar .200 / .273 / .350

Hicks .174 / .345 / .217

Hays .161 / .257 / .355

Frazier .136 / .269 / .182

O'Hearn .135 / .200 / .243

Mullins .088 / .162 / .118

I might move Gunnar further down the lineup, and stick Adley (.513 OB% last ten games) back in the top spot. 

@Dirty Birdwill tell you that Gunnar should still be in Norfolk ........just kidding, Dirty Bird.......