Cold Bats Heading into the Playoffs

Sanity Check

It’s a long season with little rest the last month plus.  The offense looked tired at times but all that means nothing with 5 days rest.  All in all if the start the playoffs hot you can say the layoff helped then get some rest.  If they don’t it will be the offense has continued to struggle.  Also looking at past 50 years ago means nothing at all.  

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Os in 1966 lost 5 of their last 7 games of the season , shut out twice, including a 1-0 loss in the season finale. 

They then swept the Dodgers in 4 straight. 

They didnt have to score a lot of runs...The Dodgers scored just 2 runs the entire series, the lowest number of runs ever scored by one team in a World Series, a record unique to 1966.

• Thanks 1

The O’s found ways to win all year.  When they weren’t pitching well, they hit the snot out of the ball.  When they weren’t hitting well, the pitchers came up big.  The playoffs will be tough, but the Orioles are resourceful.   So, I’m not overly concerned that the bats were a little cold the last few weeks.  I like their chances as much as any other team’s.  

3 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Am I the only person who is not overly encouraged by our bats going into the playoffs?  Since the Cardinals series, possibly before that, we have not been hitting consistently or scoring a lot of runs.  Our pitching has been carrying us, and we will only go as far as they take us.  I expect most of our young hitters will have struggles similar to Eddie Murray in the 1979 post season.....I just don't think they are up for the challenge this year  Next year?  Maybe.  But I'm not feeling an offense with momentum as we finish the year, and it's not something you can just turn on and turn off.  Momentum breeds confidence, and confidence breeds strong run production.

Nick Pivetta, Kutter Crawford and Tanner Houck just showed how vulnerable we are......and they aren't exactly elite pitchers.  We will need to beat pitchers just as good, if not better in the playoffs.  I'm not feeling it.

Please tell me what I'm missing.......

What you just put in this thread are my very feelings, spooky how you said almost word for word what I have been thinking.  

Am I the only person who is not overly encouraged by our bats going into the playoffs?  Since the Cardinals series, possibly before that, we have not been hitting consistently or scoring a lot of runs.  Our pitching has been carrying us, and we will only go as far as they take us.  I expect most of our young hitters will have struggles similar to Eddie Murray in the 1979 post season.....I just don't think they are up for the challenge this year  Next year?  Maybe.  But I'm not feeling an offense with momentum as we finish the year, and it's not something you can just turn on and turn off.  Momentum breeds confidence, and confidence breeds strong run production.

Nick Pivetta, Kutter Crawford and Tanner Houck just showed how vulnerable we are......and they aren't exactly elite pitchers.  We will need to beat pitchers just as good, if not better in the playoffs.  I'm not feeling it.

What you just put in this thread are my very feelings, spooky how you said almost word for word what I have been thinking.  

You're absolutely right. You didn't miss anything.

I wouldn't even watch the ALDS if I were you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Look, this year we are playing with house money. NO ONE thought we would be here. This is a first for most of this team. Here is where I am. My expectations are nil. I'm just so proud of this team, whatever. If they crap the bed, life will go on and I'll chalk it up to well they got the experience to build on. If they surprise, well these guys have shown the ability to really do what no one thought they could.  Going to be a long week till Saturdy and then we will see.........

To me, just winning the AL East division was a great accomplishment in itself!

Building on some of the other posts, the ‘83 Orioles lost 5 of their last 7, giving up 40 runs in those seven.  In 9 postseason games they gave up 12 total runs.

I have no idea if the O’s bats will wake up or struggle.  I have no idea if the bullpen can get tough outs without a weapon like Bautista available.  And I have no idea how the starters will perform in the intensity of the postseason.   But unlike fans of 22 other teams next Saturday we can find out!

• Upvote 1

I am very concerned. Especially since we'll likely be playing the Rays who curb stomped the Blow Jays this weekend (who had much more to play for this weekend than Boston).

Yes, we are playing w/ house money at this point, but I would at least like the playoffs to be competitive and not have a repeat of the 2014 ALCS.

Someday I want this team to be like the Rays... who when half their roster is out for the year they are still rolling through opponents. And will likely continue vs the Rangers.

11 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

I am very concerned. Especially since we'll likely be playing the Rays who curb stomped the Blow Jays this weekend (who had much more to play for this weekend than Boston).

Yes, we are playing w/ house money at this point, but I would at least like the playoffs to be competitive and not have a repeat of the 2014 ALCS.

Someday I want this team to be like the Rays... who when half their roster is out for the year they are still rolling through opponents. And will likely continue vs the Rangers.

Jays probably wanted to lose yesterday, as that meant they play Minnesota instead of Tampa. They brought up some scrub to start. Not that that means the Rays aren’t good. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

I would just like to point out that the 2014 ALCS was competitive. All the games were won by one or two runs and in the first two games the winning run was scored in the Royals' last at bat. And I'm sure what happened in the last week of the regular season had nothing to do with it; I remember nothing about those games.

When they asked Hyde about what he took from this series was he was just glad they got out of it healthy. He mentioned that was more important than chasing personal stats in meaningless games. I'd guess the message was to dial it back, don't get hurt.

Edited by Malike