Cold Bats Heading into the Playoffs

Sanity Check

6 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

I’m not sure this matters at all. What if they were red hot and the week off killed the momentum?

If the offense was red hot and then came out flat in the ALDS fans would be saying, "if only the Orioles didn't have a bye to break up their momentum".

I have no doubt they are going to enter the ALDS with a refocused intensity after earning a well deserved five day break. The pitching staff could certainly use the break after a long season and the whole team had to play 17 days in a row during September.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Perspective?  

I'm sorry, but I did offer my perspective....the recent struggles (beginning with the Cardinals series.....heck, they weren't even impressive against the Rockies), memories of Eddie Murray's struggles aa a youngster in a playoff atmosphere, and 4 hits in 19 innings against Red Sux starters.

I thought this was worthy of discussion, but okay, we can act as if it never happened and all is good.  Like I said as well, I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm a superstitious, reverse-jinx guy.....just doing my thing....but yeah, I'm genuinely concerned and don't have elevated expectations, if that's okay.

14 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

You're absolutely right. You didn't miss anything.

I wouldn't even watch the ALDS if I were you.

Love this post.....truth is, I don't watch the games live because when I do, they usually lose....so, I DVR them instead to watch later if I want to....depending on how much I think I'll enjoy it.  I don't watch most losses, unless they are high scoring with a lot of action.

So, for the benefit of all O's fans, I will refrain from watching the ALDS games live, but will DVR them and only watch them if there are happy endings.

28 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Love this post.....truth is, I don't watch the games live because when I do, they usually lose....so, I DVR them instead to watch later if I want to....depending on how much I think I'll enjoy it.  I don't watch most losses, unless they are high scoring with a lot of action.

So, for the benefit of all O's fans, I will refrain from watching the ALDS games live, but will DVR them and only watch them if there are happy endings.

I think it's important that you know that you, not watching the games will benefit no one, but maybe yourself. You have no power, zero, none, nada over what happens if you watch a game. I'd never tell someone how to fan their team, but yours is one of the most bizarre I've ever seen. "I won't watch games live and then I won't watch them if they lose unless it's a slugfest". It's like being a huge fan of mystery books or movies but refusing to read or watch them until you've read the spoilers of whodunnit at the end. Doesn't sound very exciting to me. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I think it's important that you know that you, not watching the games will benefit no one, but maybe yourself. You have no power, zero, none, nada over what happens if you watch a game. I'd never tell someone how to fan their team, but yours is one of the most bizarre I've ever seen. "I won't watch games live and then I won't watch them if they lose unless it's a slugfest". It's like being a huge fan of mystery books or movies but refusing to read or watch them until you've read the spoilers of whodunnit at the end. Doesn't sound very exciting to me. 

Well, what doesn't sound exciting to me is watching us make 57 outs and get 4 hits.   That's one hit every 4+ innings, so that's kind of a waste of my time, and frustrating to watch.  I don't like being frustrated, so I like to know what I'm getting into before actually getting into it and being a couch potato to be bored.  I live by the box scores and the ESPN Scoreboard to see how the game is going, and if it's good, then I go to the DVR and watch.  If not, like most of this past weekend, I don't bother watching, except for the highlights.

And, I absolutely do realize that me watching the game does not impact what's actually happening in the game....I'm not that out of touch with reality, but I appreciate your concern for me and my mindset.

Bottom line, I like to watch my team play well.  I don't really like to see them not play well.....I get frustrated and it's really not worth my time to wait for something to happen.  In fact, when I do watch the games on the DVR, I am able to skip over much of it and see what I want to see.  I've been watching baseball for years, and playing it for 50 years......I don't need to watch every pitch of each game.  I just have a process which I hope - at this point - doesn't sound as bizarre as my previous attempt at explaining my mindset and approach.

Edited by Sanity Check

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

Well, what doesn't sound exciting to me is watching us make 57 outs and get 4 hits.   That's one hit every 4+ innings, so that's kind of a waste of my time, and frustrating to watch.  I don't like being frustrated, so I like to know what I'm getting into before actually getting into it and being a couch potato to be bored.  I live by the box scores and the ESPN Scoreboard to see how the game is going, and if it's good, then I go to the DVR and watch.  If not, like most of this past weekend, I don't bother watching, except for the highlights.

And, I absolutely do realize that me watching the game does not impact what's actually happening in the game....I'm not that out of touch with reality, but I appreciate your concern for me and my mindset.

Bottom line, I like to watch my team play well.  I don't really like to see them not play well.....I get frustrated and it's really not worth my time to wait for something to happen.  In fact, when I do watch the games on the DVR, I am able to skip over much of it and see what I want to see.  I've been watching baseball for years, and playing it for 50 years......I don't need to watch every pitch of each game.  I just have a process which I hope - at this point - doesn't sound as bizarre as my previous attempt at explaining my mindset and approach.

I read this as you only like them when they are good. Like I said, fan how you want to, but if you don't want the bad with the good then maybe baseball isn't really your thing anymore after 50 years of watching and playing it.

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

I read this as you only like them when they are good. Like I said, fan how you want to, but if you don't want the bad with the good then maybe baseball isn't really your thing anymore after 50 years of watching and playing it.

I think we know which fans only turn out when the team is good. 

I get that for the regular season, 162 games is a long season and a major commitment daily. I probably don't watch most games, but a good percentage of them. Honestly, if it's a lopsided game either way I probably change the channel. I'd like to watch competitive baseball, otherwise I'd rather be doing other things.

But it also depends on the year. I didn't watch much of anything from 2019-2021. I'm also out of market so I have to pay for MLB.tv to watch. No way I'm doing that if the team isn't halfway competitive.

No way I'm not watching these games live and in full during the playoffs though.

Edited by dzorange

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we know which fans only turn out when the team is good. 

That was a bit uncalled for, and totally unfair and inaccurate.  I DVR the O's every game they have, and check their score frequently throughout their games.......and have been following closely every year since 1970.  Because I choose not to religiously commit to sitting down and watching every game as it's being played doesn't make me a fair weather fan.  I follow the players and stats just like you guys do, and I do attend games regularly in Aberdeen and Norfolk to see the prospects.  I'm far from a bandwagon guy.

The judgments on here  from some people can get pretty brutal, and the last thing I ever do on this forum is judge people and spew nonsense like you just did.  I don't get how you come off doing it.  You're better than that....I think.  I guess only you would know, but that was a BS comment directed at me.

Just because I choose not to watch a game that we don't play well doesn't mean anything more than I don't ENJOY watching them play poorly.  I guess I'm a sicko......

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You should really change your screen name. 😁🤣

Care to offer up any suggestions so you can pile on, too?  I just hope to one day be as good and knowledgeable as you guys are.  One thing I won't do on here is mistreat posters, even if I don't agree with things they say.  Maybe we need more of that....we can disagree, but the judging of people is a bit juvenile.

Just now, Sanity Check said:

Care to offer up any suggestions so you can pile on, too?  I just hope to one day be as good and knowledgeable as you guys are.  One thing I won't do on here is mistreat posters, even if I don't agree with things they say.  Maybe we need more of that....we can disagree, but the judging of people is a bit juvenile.

Overly sensitive much?  

42 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

That was a bit uncalled for, and totally unfair and inaccurate.  I DVR the O's every game they have, and check their score frequently throughout their games.......and have been following closely every year since 1970.  Because I choose not to religiously commit to sitting down and watching every game as it's being played doesn't make me a fair weather fan.  I follow the players and stats just like you guys do, and I do attend games regularly in Aberdeen and Norfolk to see the prospects.  I'm far from a bandwagon guy.

The judgments on here  from some people can get pretty brutal, and the last thing I ever do on this forum is judge people and spew nonsense like you just did.  I don't get how you come off doing it.  You're better than that....I think.  I guess only you would know, but that was a BS comment directed at me.

Just because I choose not to watch a game that we don't play well doesn't mean anything more than I don't ENJOY watching them play poorly.  I guess I'm a sicko......

Wasn't talking about you specifically.

If you took it personally you might want to reflect on why you did.

4 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

I'm sorry, but I did offer my perspective....the recent struggles (beginning with the Cardinals series.....heck, they weren't even impressive against the Rockies), memories of Eddie Murray's struggles aa a youngster in a playoff atmosphere, and 4 hits in 19 innings against Red Sux starters.

I thought this was worthy of discussion, but okay, we can act as if it never happened and all is good.  Like I said as well, I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm a superstitious, reverse-jinx guy.....just doing my thing....but yeah, I'm genuinely concerned and don't have elevated expectations, if that's okay.

I’m more concerned with the general downturn in the offense in the last few weeks than I am about the Red Sox series in particular.  On the other hand, our pitching has been on fire.  We’ll see how things go.  There’s never any good way to predict what will happen next in baseball.  It’s a streaky game and hot and cold streaks often start and stop for no apparent reason.

• Upvote 2