Cold Bats Heading into the Playoffs

Sanity Check

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't talking about you specifically.

If you took it personally you might want to reflect on why you did.

So, you're a liar, too.   Got it.    Nice try, though.

Some people like just like to troll and be snarky because their behind a screen with a keyboard.

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

So, you're a liar, too.   Got it.    Nice try, though.

Some people like just like to troll and be snarky because their behind a screen with a keyboard.

Excuse me?

I would have zero issue admitting I was specifically talking about you if it was the case.

I wasn't.

I was talking about the folks that hung around the board from 2012-2017 and disappeared until this summer.

Does that describe you?

For the record I'm plenty "snarky" without a screen in front of me, always have been.

I don't put on a different face for his board.

Edited by Can_of_corn

This team won 101 games, and won the AL East.  It's pretty good.  That means nothing starting Saturday.  However, through the course of a very long season, the Orioles played at an exceptionally even keel.  They were resilient and found ways to win games.  Never too hot and never too cold.  The hope is they can continue it for a couple more weeks.

I certainly feel better about their chances than I did 5 months ago.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

This team won 101 games, and won the AL East.  It's pretty good.  That means nothing starting Saturday.  However, through the course of a very long season, the Orioles played at an exceptionally even keel.  They were resilient and found ways to win games.  Never too hot and never too cold.  The hope is they can continue it for a couple more weeks.

I certainly feel better about their chances than I did 5 months ago.

Exactly... they're either going to win or not. 101 wins constitutes an excellent season by any standard. 

5 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

I'm sorry, but I did offer my perspective....the recent struggles (beginning with the Cardinals series.....heck, they weren't even impressive against the Rockies), memories of Eddie Murray's struggles aa a youngster in a playoff atmosphere, and 4 hits in 19 innings against Red Sux starters.

I thought this was worthy of discussion, but okay, we can act as if it never happened and all is good.  Like I said as well, I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm a superstitious, reverse-jinx guy.....just doing my thing....but yeah, I'm genuinely concerned and don't have elevated expectations, if that's okay.

I’m sorry for the snark.  I actually thought I deleted this.  It would be great if everyone was tearing the cover off the ball going into the playoffs.  But the reality is it’s been this way all season.  Players are streaky, and sometimes regardless of what kind of contact they make, the hits don’t fall in.  Try to sit back and enjoy the ride.

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

That was a bit uncalled for, and totally unfair and inaccurate.  I DVR the O's every game they have, and check their score frequently throughout their games.......and have been following closely every year since 1970.  Because I choose not to religiously commit to sitting down and watching every game as it's being played doesn't make me a fair weather fan.  I follow the players and stats just like you guys do, and I do attend games regularly in Aberdeen and Norfolk to see the prospects.  I'm far from a bandwagon guy.

The judgments on here  from some people can get pretty brutal, and the last thing I ever do on this forum is judge people and spew nonsense like you just did.  I don't get how you come off doing it.  You're better than that....I think.  I guess only you would know, but that was a BS comment directed at me.

Just because I choose not to watch a game that we don't play well doesn't mean anything more than I don't ENJOY watching them play poorly.  I guess I'm a sicko......

I certainly wasn't trying to judge you. You literally asked for people to tell you what you could possibly be missing and when they did, you got mad.

You even made a snarky comment to me about being concerned about your well-being after I simply told you, that you watching the games doesn't make the team lose after you literally said they lose when you watch them so you don't watch them.

I personally think you shouldn't ask people for suggestions on things when you are not prepared for some of the answers that you might not like.

28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I'll say this, if the Orioles play like they have all season, they have a pretty good chance at success.

They really never had an extended streak in either direction I believe. They were just consistent all season. No reason not to expect the same in the playoffs.

This team has been absurdly consistent this year. They are the best Os team in over 40 years. If you're feeling too negative to watch the playoffs then I don't think you'll ever be happy with this team. I honestly can't imagine feeling pessimistic right now. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TheWall said:

This team has been absurdly consistent this year. They are the best Os team in over 40 years. If you're feeling too negative to watch the playoffs then I don't think you'll ever be happy with this team. I honestly can't imagine feeling pessimistic right now. 

I was pretty sure in 79 and that didn't work out.  I was also sure 83 was beginning of another run.  I have learned that anything can happen, but you can't win if you ain't in.  We're in and I am going to enjoy the ride...it's a free ticket anyway.

6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I was pretty sure in 79 and that didn't work out.  I was also sure 83 was beginning of another run.  I have learned that anything can happen, but you can't win if you ain't in.  We're in and I am going to enjoy the ride...it's a free ticket anyway.

We had no access to data to cause us to doubt it.

How were we to know the farm was going to dry up after Cal Jr?

• Upvote 1

Sanity Check:

I too follow a similar gameday routine. In my case it is because I get too frustrated with bonehead play. I have been a fan since Brooks came up in '58, went away when PA fired Davey Johnson over the Alomar fine. I was out of the area from 1993 until 2002 but then someone on Sunspot or Birds of Prey recommended OH. I connected with Weams and Tony and came back to the fold. At 74 years old I really don't need my frustration driving my emotional state. So I watch live at OPACY and delayed when I can get them at home. I troll Game threads and follow the CBS Gameday so I know what to look for later. To each their own.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1