Cold Bats Heading into the Playoffs

Sanity Check

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eleven year old me has no recollection of that event.

I didn't watch the news that much and we didn't get the Sun, we got the other paper.

I liked the News American better but I digress. Flanny made that comment lamenting the end of the pipeline, who was going to be the next man up,  which probably started when Hoffberger sold the team. The next few owners seemingly didn't see the need for strong minors.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I liked the News American better but I digress. Flanny made that comment lamenting the end of the pipeline, who was going to be the next man up,  which probably started when Hoffberger sold the team. The next few owners seemingly didn't see the need for strong minors.

I believe you but as I said, 11 year old me had no idea.

It was so much harder to find any information back then.

42 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Well one data point was Flannagan saying that after him there wasn't anybody to be next man up.

I don’t remember any remark like that, and it wasn’t remotely true at the time.   They had 25-year old Mike Boddicker and 21-year old Storm Davis.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t remember any remark like that, and it wasn’t remotely true at the time.   They had 25-year old Mike Boddicker and 21-year old Storm Davis.  

It was made later (maybe co-GM or PC) but referring to the end of his playing career. I honestly don't remember when I heard him say it.  Davis and Boddicker overlapped Flanny but were largely done or traded by late 1980's early 1990s like Flanny. There was Shilling and Harnish but we know where they went. After that it was Milacki, maybe Ballard. Ben was there for a bit before injury. It was a bit before Mussina came along. Not too much in the cupboard. 

44 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

It was made later (maybe co-GM or PC) but referring to the end of his playing career. I honestly don't remember when I heard him say it.  Davis and Boddicker overlapped Flanny but were largely done or traded by late 1980's early 1990s like Flanny. There was Shilling and Harnish but we know where they went. After that it was Milacki, maybe Ballard. Ben was there for a bit before injury. It was a bit before Mussina came along. Not too much in the cupboard. 

Fine, but @Can_of_corn’s point was that in 1983, it wasn’t obvious to the Orioles’ fandom that the prospect spigot was just about dry.   He wasn’t talking about the end of Flanagan’s career (1991).   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Excuse me?

I would have zero issue admitting I was specifically talking about you if it was the case.

I wasn't.

I was talking about the folks that hung around the board from 2012-2017 and disappeared until this summer.

Does that describe you?

For the record I'm plenty "snarky" without a screen in front of me, always have been.

I don't put on a different face for his board.

That does not describe me at all.  I've been lurking here for years.....in good times and bad, and have followed the team the same way ever since....very closely.   I just have a different approach to how I watch the games.  The timing of your post and what you were responding too was a little too, shall we say, curious.

So, I'll be the bigger person here....if you were honestly not directing that my way, then I apologize for reading it that way and responding the way I did. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

That does not describe me at all.  I've been lurking here for years.....in good times and bad, and have followed the team the same way ever since....very closely.   I just have a different approach to how I watch the games.  The timing of your post and what you were responding too was a little too, shall we say, curious.

So, I'll be the bigger person here....if you were honestly not directing that my way, then I apologize for reading it that way and responding the way I did. 

... bigger, more humble, person... fixed that for you! 🤣

32 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't like Frazier coming in the game so early. Westburg hit the ball hard in his one at bat before getting lifted.

Frazier was great with the bat over the summer but it's just not there now.  Don't like him getting at bats over Westburg anymore unless it's an obvious matchup situation other than just lefty/righty. 

But it's really O'Hearn and Mullins who have to start hitting again.  You have to wonder if Hyde is considering sitting O'Hearn in favor of Kjerstad.  

Even lukewarm bats would have won the game today. Holding Texas to three has to be considered a victory pitching-wise. Santander seems to be the only one in the lineup swinging an even moderately warm bat.

It's just one game, but you have to get a lot more from Adley, Gunnar, and Ced. None of them did anything and they are supposed to be faces of the franchise.

This team impressed me all year having good at bats and hitting to the opposite field and hitting with RISP. That has faded the last few weeks of the season and was completely absent today.