Is the Steroid list going to made public?

O's84

Well, let's see.

The 104 names were rounded up during survey testing which was supposed to remain anonymous / confidential, and many of the players believed that the samples would be destroyed.

A-Rod's name only leaked because somebody (or somebodies) in a position to know decided to break the law.

But to address your actual question, sure, I bet the other names will eventually trickle out. That's more of a shame than anything A-Rod allegedly did IMO.

I think it's inevitable, altho maybe not immediately. I posted before, it's certainly not MLB or the Union leaking this info. It's government agents, or as I read today... this list has been passed around more times than, well... things that get passed around... it'll come out. ;)

Any circumstance in which those names are released without the consent of the players involved will be illegal. So, we want an illegal event to take place to give us a measure of justice? You're on your own boys.

I'm no lawyer, but the confidentiality agreement was just that... a confidentiality agreement, between the union and the owners. That does not supercede the law. Nor make it illegal to violate it.

I'm no lawyer, but the confidentiality agreement was just that... a confidentiality agreement, between the union and the owners. That does not supercede the law. Nor make it illegal to violate it.

I'm assuming MLB isn't going to violate the agreement. The lower courts have already ruled the government's seizure of the information illegal and if the appelate courts agree, the release of the info by anyone but MLB would be illegal since the methods used to get the information was illegal. I think there are civil rights violations inherent also if the MLB claim the records are medical records, I dunno.

HIPAA and similar state medical privacy laws say "Hi," there is no disclosure of protected heath information (PHI) without my consent.

We can get nitty in the details but in general, its illegal under state and federal law to disclose someone else's medical information without consent/ statutory exception.

I'm assuming MLB isn't going to violate the agreement. The lower courts have already ruled the government's seizure of the information illegal and if the appelate courts agree, the release of the info by anyone but MLB would be illegal since the methods used to get the information was illegal. I think there are civil rights violations inherent also if the MLB claim the records are medical records, I dunno.

The use in court is sorta a separate issue.

That is a "fruit of the poison tree" evidentiary argument. That means the G can't use the evidence at trial because the G obtained the evidence improperly (the common situation is where the evidence was discovered during an illegal search, as is alleged with respect to the G's seizure of the MLB drug samples from the Quest Diagnostics lab in Nevada.)

----

But the disclosure issue is separate. HIPPA allows the disclosure of PHI with a court order. For example, this is a common issue in child abuse cases where the medical provider has information about the abuse but the defendant parent/guardian asserts they will not waive the child's medical privacy rights.

I should have also added that the presiding judge had previously ordered the parties NOT to release any of the evidence or names before a ruling was made so the release violated very real legal obligations by anyone holding the info.

The use in court is sorta a separate issue.
yeah, I don't understand the legal niceties I admit, but I still feel an urge to rationalize protecting information previously gathered under a confidentiality agreement so I'm perhaps grasping at straws I'm not educated enough to firmly grab.

But to address your actual question, sure, I bet the other names will eventually trickle out. That's more of a shame than anything A-Rod allegedly did IMO.

I don't think the names should trickle out dragging out the story indefinately. But I dot think it's a shame when a cheater is exposed. I'm glad there is at least some consequence for Mr. Rodriguez deciding that as talented as he was/is that he still needed to cheat. Let the full list come out for no other reason as to make it so that those who chose not to cheat are not under suspicion of being on the list.

I think the names get leaked.

Hey, if A-Rod isn't safe, who isn't?

I'm not sure what legal reprocussions could be made, but if I'm A-Rod or anyone else on that list who gets leaked....I'm suing left and right.

Well, who do you sue? I suppose you could sue everyone who was party to the agreement and let the courts sort it out, but leaks are leaks and not necessarily easily identifiable.

If you think about it, from the standpoint of maximizing the scandal, there isn't a fatter target in baseball than ARod when it come to this sort of thing. Everybody would theoretically be safer. But I agree with you, everybody's name comes out eventually.

Archived