Does this Tejada mess change things for Raffy...?

"Mickey" Manto

I'm not sure if anyone has ever brought up this point before, but does anyone think Raffy might have been telling the truth about his positive test results?

I think it's pretty certain that Tejada was juicing and the whole scenario of Raffy "accidentally" taking 'roids might actually fly. I'm still not sure if I believe it, but it's an interesting thought.

Before the positive test, Raffy ranked right up there with Cal and Eddie for me. My heart would love for him to be vindicated somehow, but my head knows that's very unlikely...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure there are people that have juiced, not knowing that they had. I do not think Palmeiro is one of them.

But I also think that when professional athletes know that they can get in trouble for some many things that go into their body, and they plan on playing by the rules, they better make darn sure that they know that everything that they take is clean.

I definitely buy into Raffy's story that his only positive test result was due to what Tejada gave him. Not sure whether or not he's done it before, but I honestly really don't care about one particular user in an era tainted by users. I think he deserves to be cut some slack and he most certainly deserves to be in the HOF.

I agree..... I find it hard to believe that if i was payed a kings ransom to play a game, I sure wouldnt jeapordize it by ingesting anything if I didnt know what it was. I feel these ballplayers are insulting my intelligence to think we are gonna buy that load of bs...

I agree..... I find it hard to believe that if i was payed a kings ransom to play a game, I sure wouldnt jeapordize it by ingesting anything if I didnt know what it was. I feel these ballplayers are insulting my intelligence to think we are gonna buy that load of bs...

I don't want to rehash the whole Raffy business but, you will not find his name among the 104. Congress checked his prior test results to see if they could prove perjury. It is common to buy B12 laced with steroids in the DR. Tejada didn't even have to know his B12 was contaminated. Raffy's explanation is the simplist and most logical IMO.

I don't want to rehash the whole Raffy business but, you will not find his name among the 104. Congress checked his prior test results to see if they could prove perjury. It is common to buy B12 laced with steroids in the DR. Tejada didn't even have to know his B12 was contaminated. Raffy's explanation is the simplist and most logical IMO.

I get what you are saying and I agree in a way. What I'm trying to say is that if I had that much to lose, there is no way that I would use anything that I wasn't 100 percent sure about. And that includes anything out of the DR... After his finger pointing in congress, he either was completely clueless or has the largest set I have ever heard of:laughlol:

I get what you are saying and I agree in a way. What I'm trying to say is that if I had that much to lose, there is no way that I would use anything that I wasn't 100 percent sure about. And that includes anything out of the DR... After his finger pointing in congress, he either was completely clueless or has the largest set I have ever heard of:laughlol:

He was familiar with B12(used it before) and trusted Miggy. Other players had used Miggy's B12 and had no problems. Dumb but understandable.

I actually completely overhauled the steroids section of the Palmeiro wikipedia entry a few years ago, adding all sorts of evidence that really makes his situation much more murky. It's not because I'm convinced he's clean, but just because I think his is the most curious of all the steroids cases -- who else gave so many explicit denials? -- and I wanted to document the whole saga. I at least think it's possible he was legitimate and people should keep an open mind. Consider the following (all sourced in the wiki article):

1.) He appealed his suspension

2.) He blamed Tejada's Domincan Republic imported B12, also Tejada was later found to be juicing according to the Mitchell Report

3.) His arbitration panel found "substantial inconsistencies" between the story of two other players and Tejada's account of what happened

4.) He continued to reiterate his words from the Congressional testimony even a year later, and he is not being charged with perjury

5.) His tests the previous two years, and three weeks after his positive test, were all negative

6.) He passed a lie detector test in which he stated he thinks ingested steroids unknowingly thanks to Tejada's "B12"

6.) Everyone's favorite Oriole Larry Bigbie said Palmeiro had asked him questions about steroids but denied ever using them.

7.) How can you deny that sweet swing? :D

Raffy probably thought MLB was going to sweep his positive test under the rug like they had previously for other players or the other times he'd been tested, but since Congress was cracking down on MLB, they decided to make him an example because of his recent publicity of getting 3000 hits. What more to show that you aren't afraid of taking down the big guns and saying that no player can break the rules than penalizing a future HOFer, especially one that made such a dramatic statement in front of Congress saying that they didn't take steroids IMO.

Raffy was the perfect sacrificial lamb. MLB and the Player's Union hung him out to dry.

Archived