The O’s - Rangers ALDS

Frobby

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Need another bat to step up is basically what’s needed. I think Westburg plays longer tomorrow. 

I wonder if McCann or Mateo starts tomorrow instead of Urias. Something along those lines. In another post I said I doubt Mullins doesn’t start but it’s not impossible. 

He’s not hitting but you need his defense.

Boddicker's Game 2 performances in the ALCS and WS are two of my brightest memories from '83.    As a kid then, I remember the 0-1 deficits vividly.   Then, it was the Cy Youngs - LaMarr Hoyt and John Denny, which Andrew Heaney and Dane Dunning ain't.

A few Boddicker remembrances, aided by modern tools, before Game 2:

-He was a 6th round college pitcher in the '78 draft, following Ripken and Sheets.     Adley and Gunnar, Cal and Boddicker set the bar at about 120 WAR for a dynamic duo from a draft class.

-Boddicker made it to AAA Rochester by the 2nd half of '79, but had a 6.00 ERA in his first taste of the level.

-Because reserve clause, he had sips of coffee with the '80-'82 Orioles.    Mostly those years he threw 190, 182 and 133 inning seasons at Rochester.    

-He was back at Rochester again in early '83, pitching to a 1.90 ERA.     His first Orioles start was a May 17 doubleheader where in the first game Flanagan (off to a 6-0 start) suffered an injury that kept him out half the season.

-The 14 strikeout shutout in ALCS Game 2 got him series MVP on the strength of the 1 appearance.     

-At last a MLB regular at age 25.75, from 1983-1988 he posted 20 rWAR, and was 10th MLB-wide in Innings Pitched.

-He was part of 0-21, but traded off that July for Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling.     Fred Lynn and Eddie Murray trades would follow the next few months.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Boddicker's Game 2 performances in the ALCS and WS are two of my brightest memories from '83.    As a kid then, I remember the 0-1 deficits vividly.   Then, it was the Cy Youngs - LaMarr Hoyt and John Denny, which Andrew Heaney and Dane Dunning ain't.

A few Boddicker remembrances, aided by modern tools, before Game 2:

-He was a 6th round college pitcher in the '78 draft, following Ripken and Sheets.     Adley and Gunnar, Cal and Boddicker set the bar at about 120 WAR for a dynamic duo from a draft class.

-Boddicker made it to AAA Rochester by the 2nd half of '79, but had a 6.00 ERA in his first taste of the level.

-Because reserve clause, he had sips of coffee with the '80-'82 Orioles.    Mostly those years he threw 190, 182 and 133 inning seasons at Rochester.    

-He was back at Rochester again in early '83, pitching to a 1.90 ERA.     His first Orioles start was a May 17 doubleheader where in the first game Flanagan (off to a 6-0 start) suffered an injury that kept him out half the season.

-The 14 strikeout shutout in ALCS Game 2 got him series MVP on the strength of the 1 appearance.     

-At last a MLB regular at age 25.75, from 1983-1988 he posted 20 rWAR, and was 10th MLB-wide in Innings Pitched.

-He was part of 0-21, but traded off that July for Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling.     Fred Lynn and Eddie Murray trades would follow the next few months.

I was at Game 2 in 83 against Philly and Boddicker was in control completely 

I'm more interested in looking forward than looking back, but the 7th-9th innings from Game 1 are what sting most when thinking about this series. That was your chance to set the series on a different trajectory and capitalize on Texas' biggest weakness, the bullpen. 

• 7th inning: Sborz walks Hicks on four pitches to lead off, then goes 3-0 on Frazier. He rebounds to throw the next three in the zone, Frazier flies out. Then Mullins and O'Hearn both K. 
  • 8th inning: Chapman walks both Hays and Rutschman, throwing 8 balls and only 1 strike. He rebounds to go up 0-1 on Santander, Santander grounds it to the hole near 3b, but Jung and Semien make an impressive double play. Mountcastle then strikes out. 
  • 9th inning: Leclerc allows a single to Henderson, then is behind 2-1 on Hicks. We know what happens next. 

Four runners on base with 0 outs, but then 0/7 with a double play and caught stealing after those runners reached. Maybe a rally there not only takes Game 1 but takes flips some of the pressure onto Texas to influence the rest of the series. Oh well. We'll never know. 

• Upvote 1