ALDS Game 3: Keeping hope alive

SteveA

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, once Means was out of the picture and we were likely going to have to start both Gibson and Kremer, we needed a long man in the pen and Irvin would have been the best man for the job.

Baker over Irvin on the playoff roster is just a mystifying decision.

I agree that Hyde's in-game decisions this series have been really bad. But I wonder who made the decisions about how to stack the starting pitchers.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

IMO I don't think it matter what players we chose for the postseason roster or what moves Hyde made or didn't make. They were just much better in this series. We can't get them out no matter which pitchers we have tried to use. 

We are going to need to get better next year (by adding talent) and then play better when it matters most, simple as that.

Agreed the Orioles could have been more competitive, but the Rangers are an absolute buzz saw right now. It's like a steroid era lineup that got dropped into 2023 to mash away.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Easy they don't have to bring back O'Hearn. He's a platoon player at best and should not be blocking a hitter like Mayo. If one of these young prospects steps up it's on Elias to make the hard decisions and trade someone to make room.

I am A-okay with replacing O'Hearn and even giving Mayo or Kjerstad an everyday spot. But I hope that we do not pin all of our hopes on young/inexperienced players again next year. Rarely do teams win championships without any good vets. And no I don't count Hays/Mullins/Santander in the vet mix because they are just as green when it comes to October baseball as the rest of our players.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed the Orioles could have been more competitive, but the Rangers are an absolute buzz saw right now. It's like a steroid era lineup that got dropped into 2023 to mash away.

Here's the thing though, what do think the Astros/Braves/Dodgers would do to us with this type of pitching? I think the results would be very similar. Those teams are the big dogs and they will absolutely feast on bad pitching. These are also the types of teams that we are going to have to get through if we want a ring.

57 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree with the first part of your statement. But the second part I have some points of departure. It is very clear to me that we need better pitching in order to compete in October. Guys like Baker and Webb are not guys who should be logging post season innings unless you are not planning on winning said game. Also, I look at our projected competition next year (HOU, TEX, ATL, LAD, TAM) we are going to need to bridge the talent gap between us and them IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I believe we are good and could have a deeper lineup next year with Holliday. But as of this moment IMO it looks like we are good but not good enough to win in October (which is what I feared all along). No more Fuji or Flaherty acquisitions please.

I just disagree about “building to win in October” which fans always talk about.  
You build a team to get in the playoffs abd then it is a total crapshoot.  The Orioles of 1969 were the best team arguably of the last century.. built for the Hall of Fame.. the Mets were hot .. we lost

The hot team will always beat the “best “ team particularly in short series 

Texas relievers have not been exposed in this series or the previous one .. but they are worse than ours.  When you score 18 runs in 2 games, not much exposure to relievers. 

And let’s see the Yankees have Rivera go diwn before the playoffs and see how well they would have fared.  Losing Bautista killed our chances.. and then Means going down led to Baker even being there.. injuries decimated us 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Actually their lineup reminds me of late 90s NYY.  Patient.  Work counts.