Who should come to the majors and when? Who should be traded?

Sports Guy

Norby doesn't need to be added to 40-man this off season and doesn't have a defensive position yet. AAA or trade bait

Holiday and Mayo get the Aug 31 Gunnar treatment, Holiday to get more ABs and to settle on his defensive position and Mayo to get better at 1B.They are backup plan for 1B-2B/SS depending on WEstburg, Ortiz, Mounty performance in 1st half.

Westburg at 2B, Ortiz at SS, Gunnar at 3B because he is our best 3B and we have other SS options. Urias showed his GG was not repeatable so trade bait. Mateo can backup 2B and SS with high level defense and his bat plays against lefties. I get him extensive CF reps in ST to see if he can cover that as well.

Cowser and Kjerstad on OD roster with Hays and Mullins. Each playing 3/4 time to keep Hays and Mullins healthy. Wild card is Stowers, he needs to outplay Cowser in ST to win a job or he is trade bait. HK's bat is MLB ready.

Santander and Mounty at 1B-DH with O'Hearn let go or traded. Mounty made some strides with the bat in 2023.

5 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Norby doesn't need to be added to 40-man this off season and doesn't have a defensive position yet. AAA or trade bait

Holiday and Mayo get the Aug 31 Gunnar treatment, Holiday to get more ABs and to settle on his defensive position and Mayo to get better at 1B.They are backup plan for 1B-2B/SS depending on WEstburg, Ortiz, Mounty performance in 1st half.

Westburg at 2B, Ortiz at SS, Gunnar at 3B because he is our best 3B and we have other SS options. Urias showed his GG was not repeatable so trade bait. Mateo can backup 2B and SS with high level defense and his bat plays against lefties. I get him extensive CF reps in ST to see if he can cover that as well.

Cowser and Kjerstad on OD roster with Hays and Mullins. Each playing 3/4 time to keep Hays and Mullins healthy. Wild card is Stowers, he needs to outplay Cowser in ST to win a job or he is trade bait. HK's bat is MLB ready.

Santander and Mounty at 1B-DH with O'Hearn let go or traded. Mounty made some strides with the bat in 2023.

You want to have them keep guys that might be able to help in the minors for 3/4 of the season?

Why exactly?

They are trying to contend right?

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

They didn't contend this year?

That's a stupid thing to say.

They didn't employ that strategy this year.

What a stupid thing to misunderstand.

You gave two conditions.

1. Did they contend.
  2. Did they use that strategy

Why you would think I was talking about contending I have no idea.

I'd be embarrassed if I made a mistake like that.

Edited by Can_of_corn

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You want to have them keep guys that might be able to help in the minors for 3/4 of the season? Why exactly? They are trying to contend right?

I don't believe Holiday is ready now and I don't think he will be in ST either defensively or offensively. He had about 100 ABs and didn't perform better than any of the prospects ahead of him in 2023. Age adjusted he is beast but not yet ready IMO. I don't believe Mayo is ready defensively at 1B either and I don't want him as a dedicated DH. They could be up mid-year or trade deadline depending on their development and/or Westburg/Ortiz performance. If not hold for 2025 ROY.

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't believe Holiday is ready now and I don't think he will be in ST either defensively or offensively. He had about 100 ABs and didn't perform better than any of the prospects ahead of him in 2023. Age adjusted he is beast but not yet ready IMO. I don't believe Mayo is ready defensively at 1B either and I don't want him as a dedicated DH. They could be up mid-year or trade deadline depending on their development and/or Westburg/Ortiz performance. If not hold for 2025 ROY.

You don't think they are going to be at ST, fine.

But why wait that long?  Why not after 200 at bats?

I think folks are way too caught up in service time manipulation and/or the bonus draft pick for RoY.

Even if you hold him back Jackson isn't going to be a lock for RoY. 

See my last sentence, "They could be up mid-year or trade deadline depending on their development and/or Westburg/Ortiz performance. If not hold for 2025 ROY." I think that explains my flexible timeline. If Westburg, Ortiz, Mounty are playing well then there isn't a need to promote Holiday, Mayo. That option could lead to mid-year trades and then promotion.

I'm confident that Cowser, Norby, Mayo, Holliday, Kjerstad and Ortiz will all be in Baltimore at some point next year if none of them are traded this offseason.

As to when they arrive in Baltimore is anyone's guess.  They've got offseason workouts to get through and Spring Training, too.  I also really don't care when they arrive in Baltimore just as long as they do.

Stowers is an afterthought.  IMO, if Stowers is up in Baltimore next year, something is probably wrong.

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

See my last sentence, "They could be up mid-year or trade deadline depending on their development and/or Westburg/Ortiz performance. If not hold for 2025 ROY." I think that explains my flexible timeline. If Westburg, Ortiz, Mounty are playing well then there isn't a need to promote Holiday, Mayo. That option could lead to mid-year trades and then promotion.

And earlier you said.

Holiday and Mayo get the Aug 31 Gunnar treatment

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah, he was terrible. Don’t care. Get him a sports psychologist and he will be fine.

Mullins should have some trade value.

I agree with trading Mullins. Cowser is not the answer at CF. We have more than enough chips to get a ready CF prospect or young controlled guy.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And earlier you said.

That's what I think will happen because their development needs time. If they show they are ready, they come earlier and we make some trades. I'm not one for manipulating service time but if they aren't needed due to good play at the MLB level then maximize value and wait for Aug 31.