Fernando Cabrera

Delbird

McPhail has two big negotiations going on in the next few days. One is, of course, Matt Wieters. The second is Fernando Cabrera.

Anyone who thinks the Gomez acquisition by Cleveland and the release of Cabrera are unrelated should read the tea leaves again. There was no way for the Orioles to obtain the strong armed, 25 year old reliever on trade waivers, so I believe the deal was Gomez for Cabrera being placed on release waivers. Now McPhail has to complete the "trade" by signing Cabrera as a free agent.

McPhail says the moves were about getting younger and some may think he is talking about Hoey. I think he is talking about Hoey and the chance to sign Cabrera. Cabrera is not attactive to teams in the pennant race. His inflated ERA does not mesh with winning now. But his potential is worth putting him together is Mazzone to see what happens.

(And if you think the best thing the O's will get out of the Parrish trade is Boucher, I suggest you re-consider that also. The O's could have sent him to Norfolk, however, they got someone better for him is my guess.)

Here is what MLB.com has to say about Cabrera's release on the Cleveland website. Replace the claiming team with Tampa and consider that Gomez was worth more to the Indians pennant chances than anything Tampa offered:

'the Indians are officially saying goodbye to right-handed reliever Fernando Cabrera, who was designated for assignment Aug. 1.

When the Indians designated Cabrera, they placed him on trade waivers -- the same waivers they used to acquire Gomez. An unidentified team made a claim on him, and the Indians were under the gun to work out a deal with that club. They had no leeway to talk to other clubs about Cabrera, because the non-waiver trade deadline passed on July 31.

"We were unable to work out a deal with the eligible club," Antonetti said. "So we elected to give him his release."

The Indians could have placed Cabrera on outright waivers -- in which any team could have made a claim on him, with the team with the worst overall record getting first dibs -- but they wanted to give him the leeway to select where he lands. He will clear release waivers in two business days and will then be a free agent.

The Tribe's patience with Cabrera, who was out of Minor League options, was, ultimately, unrewarded. He went 3-3 with a 5.19 ERA in 51 appearances last season and 1-2 with a 5.61 ERA in 24 games this year.

"His development, and where we are as a Major League team [didn't mesh]," Antonetti said. "He's still going to be a very good Major League pitcher, but he needs to get regular work. We were not able to give him that regular work." '

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McPhail has two big negotiations going on in the next few days. One is, of course, Matt Wieters. The second is Fernando Cabrera.

Anyone who thinks the Gomez acquisition by Cleveland and the release of Cabrera are unrelated should read the tea leaves again. There was no way for the Orioles to obtain the strong armed, 25 year old reliever on trade waivers, so I believe the deal was Gomez for Cabrera being placed on release waivers. Now McPhail has to complete the "trade" by signing Cabrera as a free agent.

McPhail says the moves were about getting younger and some may think he is talking about Hoey. I think he is talking about Hoey and the chance to sign Cabrera. Cabrera is not attactive to teams in the pennant race. His inflated ERA does not mesh with winning now. But his potential worth putting him together is Mazzone to see what happens.

(And if you think the best thing the O's will get out of the Parrish trade is Boucher, I suggest you re-consider that also. The O's could have sent him to Norfolk, however, they got some better for him is my guess.)

Here is what MLB.com has to say about Cabrera's release on the Cleveland website. Replace the claiming team with Tampa and consider the Gomez was worth more to the Indians pennant chances than anything Tampa offered:

'the Indians are officially saying goodbye to right-handed reliever Fernando Cabrera, who was designated for assignment Aug. 1.

When the Indians designated Cabrera, they placed him on trade waivers -- the same waivers they used to acquire Gomez. An unidentified team made a claim on him, and the Indians were under the gun to work out a deal with that club. They had no leeway to talk to other clubs about Cabrera, because the non-waiver trade deadline passed on July 31.

"We were unable to work out a deal with the eligible club," Antonetti said. "So we elected to give him his release."

The Indians could have placed Cabrera on outright waivers -- in which any team could have made a claim on him, with the team with the worst overall record getting first dibs -- but they wanted to give him the leeway to select where he lands. He will clear release waivers in two business days and will then be a free agent.

The Tribe's patience with Cabrera, who was out of Minor League options, was, ultimately, unrewarded. He went 3-3 with a 5.19 ERA in 51 appearances last season and 1-2 with a 5.61 ERA in 24 games this year.

"His development, and where we are as a Major League team [didn't mesh]," Antonetti said. "He's still going to be a very good Major League pitcher, but he needs to get regular work. We were not able to give him that regular work." '

I certainly hope you're right, and the Cabrera thing sounds very plausible to me. I would be thrilled if that happens, as I think he's a great guy to take a chance on. This would be a slick maneuver by MacPhail if it indeed goes down.

I'm going to disagree on Parrish. I just think he has zero value, and I'm not sure why Seattle even wanted him to begin with.

I certainly hope you're right, and the Cabrera thing sounds very plausible to me. I would be thrilled if that happens, as I think he's a great guy to take a chance on. This would be a slick maneuver by MacPhail if it indeed goes down.

I'm going to disagree on Parrish. I just think he has zero value, and I'm not sure why Seattle even wanted him to begin with.

My guess is that Parrish has an option and if he doesn't perform in the first couple of outing he will be optioned until Sept 1st when the rosters expand. Seattle got an experienced lefty that they have the whole winter and spring to fix. If he helps with the pennant race it is a bonus. However, I am betting they had to give up a better minor league prospect than Boucher to get him. Otherwise the O's would have optioned him to Norfolk.

The thing is though... since Cabrera is a free agent, he can sign with anyone, including the team that put in a claim for him. There is no guarantee that he will sign with Orioles... if MacPhail can get Cabrera to sign, great, but to me the two move are not related.

As much as MLB is a business, sometimes teams do make moves that benefit the players, like trading Conine to the Phillies in August 2006, like letting Gomez go to the Indians.

The thing is though... since Cabrera is a free agent, he can sign with anyone, including the team that put in a claim for him. There is no guarantee that he will sign with Orioles... if MacPhail can get Cabrera to sign, great, but to me the two move are not related.

As much as MLB is a business, sometimes teams do make moves that benefit the players, like trading Conine to the Phillies in August 2006, like letting Gomez go to the Indians.

Well, if what wildcard says is right, they are related. Cabrera was claimed by someone like TB. In order to give us a chance to sign him, we had to convince CLE to release him outright, so we let them claim Gomez. We don't really lose anything there. Gomez is a FA, so we can re-sign him if we so choose. So, we let them claim and keep Gomez, they release Cabrera, and we have a chance to sign him. If we hadn't, then they let the other team claim Cabrera, and we have no chance.

My guess is that Parrish has an option and if he doesn't perform in the first couple of outing he will be optioned until Sept 1st when the rosters expand. Seattle got an experienced lefty that they have the whole winter and spring to fix. If he helps with the pennant race it is a bonus. However, I am betting they had to give up a better minor league prospect than Boucher to get him. Otherwise the O's would have optioned him to Norfolk.

Maybe the Os were just sick and tired of him? How many years have they spent trying to correct him? He's not a prospect any more, so this is the pitcher that he is. If he were 24, I'd agree with you.

I agree.

After all, it is still people making decisions about other people. Those kinds of moves (that benefit players like Gomez near the end of his career) do get noticed by other players. It helps team morale to know that your FO gives a hoot about the players too.

FCabrera has loads of talent. It would be nice, but he is still a project.

Maybe the Os were just sick and tired of him? How many years have they spent trying to correct him? He's not a prospect any more, so this is the pitcher that he is. If he were 24, I'd agree with you.

Parrish is a strong armed lefty. He will have some value for quite a while.

McPhail says the moves were about getting younger and some may think he is talking about Hoey. I think he is talking about Hoey and the chance to sign Cabrera. Cabrera is not attactive to teams in the pennant race. His inflated ERA does not mesh with winning now. But his potential is worth putting him together is Mazzone to see what happens.

(And if you think the best thing the O's will get out of the Parrish trade is Boucher, I suggest you re-consider that also. The O's could have sent him to Norfolk, however, they got someone better for him is my guess.)

Here is what MLB.com has to say about Cabrera's release on the Cleveland website. Replace the claiming team with Tampa and consider that Gomez was worth more to the Indians pennant chances than anything Tampa offered:

I still don't understand this. Release waivers are still "waivers" and anyone can claim him.

I still don't understand this. Release waivers are still "waivers" and anyone can claim him.

I didn't realize this before today, but there are apparently three types of waivers - trade, outright, release. Teams can only claim players through the first two types.

I didn't realize this before today, but there are apparently three types of waivers - trade, outright, release. Teams can only claim players through the first two types.

Apparently, and I did not know this until today, you can claim a player on release waivers, but the player can refuse it.

I knew that all released players went through waivers, which was why this confused me from the beginning. However, I didn't know that players could refuse a claim during the release waiver process. I'm not even sure why a player would accept a release waiver claim in that case.

Here is the best explanation I have found. (Most understandable)

Scroll down to "waivers". The names are different from trade and outright but it describes what can be done under each type of waiver.

Cabrera must have been put on revocable waivers, was claimed by Tampa, Indians and Tampa didn't reach agreement, Cabrera was pulled back by the Indians then placed on unconditional release waivers, when Cabrera was claimed he refused the claim and will become a FA in two days.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2003/01/transactions-glossary.html

From the St. Petersburg Times:

CABRERA CLAIMED: The Rays didn't sign RHP Fernando Cabrera as a free agent Monday. They claimed him on release waivers instead - keeping him from hitting the open market, at least for now.

Cabrera has five days to decide whether to accept and join the Rays or decline and become a free agent (and, in theory, still could sign a new deal with the Rays).

It didn't cost the Rays much to try it this way, as his salary of $391,800 (which they would be responsible for the remainder of) is only slightly more than the major-league minimum, and the claim costs $1. Cabrera, let go by Cleveland last week after going 1-2 with a 5.61 ERA, is out of options, so the Rays would have to keep him on the big-league roster.

From the St. Petersburg Times:

CABRERA CLAIMED: The Rays didn't sign RHP Fernando Cabrera as a free agent Monday. They claimed him on release waivers instead - keeping him from hitting the open market, at least for now.

Cabrera has five days to decide whether to accept and join the Rays or decline and become a free agent (and, in theory, still could sign a new deal with the Rays).

It didn't cost the Rays much to try it this way, as his salary of $391,800 (which they would be responsible for the remainder of) is only slightly more than the major-league minimum, and the claim costs $1. Cabrera, let go by Cleveland last week after going 1-2 with a 5.61 ERA, is out of options, so the Rays would have to keep him on the big-league roster.

In the big scheme of things, this means next to nothing. There's not much incentive for him to accept the claim.

Archived