Jonah Heim

Billy F-Face3

41 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I have to admit, reading Basallo's name brings alot of optimism and excitement when I think about our future catching duo. 

I feel like I’m becoming the board pessimist when it comes to prospects.   It’s not that I don’t hope that Basallo will be a good major leaguer, it’s just that I don’t assume he will be merely because he’s a highly ranked prospect with certain plus tools who’s succeeded in the low minors at a young age.  I’ve just seen too many highly ranked prospects be huge disappointments, and not just for the Orioles.  But after the success of Adley and Gunnar, it feels like people are starting to assume that all our highly ranked prospects are going to be excellent major leaguers.   Some will be, some won’t be, and some may have several years of struggles before they finally do pan out. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like I’m becoming the board pessimist when it comes to prospects.   It’s not that I don’t hope that Basallo will be a good major leaguer, it’s just that I don’t assume he will be merely because he’s a highly ranked prospect with certain plus tools who’s succeeded in the low minors at a young age.  I’ve just seen too many highly ranked prospects be huge disappointments, and not just for the Orioles.  But after the success of Adley and Gunnar, it feels like people are starting to assume that all our highly ranked prospects are going to be excellent major leaguers.   Some will be, some won’t be, and some may have several years of struggles before they finally do pan out. 

im-sitting-right-here-vinny.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

That's definitely a fair position to have. And more than not, I think you would be right to be skeptical about prospects. At least, historical percentages would support your reasoning.