UZR at Fangraphs includes outfield arms and double plays

Baltimoron

- UZR now includes outfield ARM runs and Double Play runs.

- ARM and DPR (Double Play runs) are broken out separately in the fielding sections.

- All player Win Values have been updated to include these additions.

- There have also been some slight changes to UZR that adjust for how fielder’s choice plays were being calculated.

link.

Nick was second in runs saved though outfield throws in 2008 amongst qualifiers (link) at +6.8. (Click "ARM" to sort by that column, its expressed in runs). Note AJ at +3.2 was a top 10 outfielder amongst qualifiers in terms of runs saved with his arm.

With the arm scored added AJ at +10.3 in CF ranks as the 4th best CF in baseball according to UZR in 2008.

Also, the unappreciated and overly-hated Jay Payton's superstellar 2008 defense only shines more, as he was +3.8 with his arm for a total 2008 OF defensive rating of +13.6. He still sucked, just not as bad as you might think only looking at his no hit offensive line.

The 2008 Os were also the 2nd worst in baseball in turning double plays last year. link (click the column "DPR" to sort by double play runs). Although Izturis should help, UZR does not rate BR as ever being good at DPs and thinks he was subpar the last two years. link.

Here are the leaders in ARM over the past three years:

Alfonso Soriano - +25.6 runsJeff Francoeur - +23.4 runsIchiro Suzuki - +12.5 runsNick Markakis - +10.8 runsMichael Cuddyer - +10.4 runs

link

---

If you read the comments to the Fangraph's piece, people clamor to open the black box. We will see, apparently the methodology will be exposed. Until then I don't expect much on the underlying calculations, but UZR itself is open and peer reviewed so it is coming from a respected/established source.

Note AJ at +3.2 was a top 10 outfielder amongst qualifiers in terms of runs saved with his arm.

With the arm scored added AJ at +10.3 in CF ranks as the 4th best CF in baseball according to UZR in 2008.

Also, the unappreciated and overly-hated Jay Payton's superstellar 2008 defense only shines more, as he was +3.8 with his arm for a total 2008 OF defensive rating of +13.6. He still sucked, just not as bad as you might think only looking at his no hit offensive line.

It is interesting that Jones' arm ranks well, because he seemed very erratic in his throws. When he overcomes that, he's really going to put up some numbers.

Payton graded very well defensively both years he played for us, but I never thought he was anything better than a little above average at most with his range, and his arm was just awful. It's a case where I can't make sense of his numbers. Maybe he's very good at positioning.

Cool. Definitely needed an Outfield Arm category.

Alfonso Soriano - +25.6 runs

Soriano's arm that good? :002_ssleepy:

Nice stat to have, but I bet still a very subjective one. Not sure, but I don't think the stat takes into account the speed of a baserunner, does it? So throwing out Ichiro at home might score the same as throwing out Kevin Millar at home so the baserunner situation could adversely impact this stat (possibly?..? Could be wrong and this is accounted for).

Anyone that can clarify how this stat is calculated go for it. :D

Archived