Bieber?

Yossarian

38 minutes ago, oriole said:

If Cleveland is realistic in their evaluation of Bieber, I’d make a move to trade him. A Santander for Bieber straight up trade makes sense for both sides. I’m not sure I’d do the same trade for Hays though, Hays has an extra year and we really need a capable defender in left field. 

If you get Bieber for Santander straight up, then Kjerstad could take Santanders place in RF/DH/1B. 

We’d probably have to throw in a prospect, which is fine IMO. 

Bieber had as many walks this year at 120 ish innings compared to 200 this year. I’d look into his injury and determine if he will give you close to 200 innings or 120. If it’s the later you can get that by putting Wells back in the rotation. Also he’s a free agent after this coming season. That’s a guy you give up lottery tickets for unless you are going to extend him as part of the deal. It’s risky but 1 year or 120 ip situation is not much more than a lateral move. I mean he’s likely to have a better ERA than Gibson but you have a coin flip on getting the innings. Is that worth giving up a valuable chip like Norby and some fluff?

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Bieber had as many walks this year at 120 ish innings compared to 200 this year. I’d look into his injury and determine if he will give you close to 200 innings or 120. If it’s the later you can get that by putting Wells back in the rotation. Also he’s a free agent after this coming season. That’s a guy you give up lottery tickets for unless you are going to extend him as part of the deal. It’s risky but 1 year or 120 ip situation is not much more than a lateral move. I mean he’s likely to have a better ERA than Gibson but you have a coin flip on getting the innings. Is that worth giving up a valuable chip like Norby and some fluff?

You’ve nailed a lot of the red flags, but I think you’re pretty heavily underselling the upside potential here. 

If you’re willing to go back as far as 2022, he posted a season that was arguably better than any Orioles pitcher since Bedard (2.88 ERA, 2.87 FIP, 4.8 fWAR over 200 innings). And I know it seems like he must be old, because he’s been around forever, but he’s actually only about the same age as Kremer. I think that 2022 season is probably the reasonable ceiling for him with the diminished velocity he’s shown since his shoulder injury of 2021.

But even if he just repeats 2023 with more innings — a likelihood unless he has another substantial injury, as he’s always gone deep in games — he’s your Opening Day SP3. I’m not sure what better return you’d hope to be getting for Connor Norby (and fluff). 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

You’ve nailed a lot of the red flags, but I think you’re pretty heavily underselling the upside potential here. 

If you’re willing to go back as far as 2022, he posted a season that was arguably better than any Orioles pitcher since Bedard (2.88 ERA, 2.87 FIP, 4.8 fWAR over 200 innings). And I know it seems like he must be old, because he’s been around forever, but he’s actually only about the same age as Kremer. I think that 2022 season is probably the reasonable ceiling for him with the diminished velocity he’s shown since his shoulder injury of 2021.

But even if he just repeats 2023 with more innings — a likelihood unless he has another substantial injury, as he’s always gone deep in games — he’s your Opening Day SP3. I’m not sure what better return you’d hope to be getting for Connor Norby (and fluff). 

That’s just it … I’m not if it’s just for 1 season. I think that’s a poor approach