Bowden top 40 FA list

Sports Guy

Giolito might be in the JA induced price range for the O's. Of course you have to believe you can fix him. He was horrible in Anaheim (ironically near home) and Chicago. If the thought process is that he gets a bit of the Kyle Bradish fix and starts throwing 2 seam FBs instead of 4 seamers or they can apply what ever they did to Grayson to improve the FB command, he could get back to the form he had in 2019-2021 when he got votes for the CYA.

Bleacher Report has him getting either 1/$15M or three years at $19 million per year, plus $21.5 million club options (with $3 million buyouts) for each of 2027 and 2028, making this a three-year, $60 million contract that could be worth up to five years, $100 million. I think that way too rich for a guy who led the AL in HRs allowed (40!) while allowing 24 home runs in his final 72 innings pitched yielding a 7.13 ERA. I'm thinking more of a 2 year deal with 2 options. Say 2/$32M with incentivized player options at $18M and $20M. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10094937-projecting-the-price-tags-for-top-mlb-free-agents-of-2023-2024-class

Edited by Jim'sKid26
spelling

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Giolito might be in the JA induced price range for the O's. Of course you have to believe you can fix him. He was horrible in Anaheim (ironically near home) and Chicago. If the thought process is that he gets a bit of the Kyle Bradish fix and starts throwing 2 seam FBs instead of 4 seamers or they can apply what ever they did to Grayson to improve the FB command, he could get back to the form he had in 2019-2021 when he got votes for the CYA.

Bleacher Report has him getting either 1/$15M or three years at $19 million per year, plus $21.5 million club options (with $3 million buyouts) for each of 2027 and 2028, making this a three-year, $60 million contract that could be worth up to five years, $100 million. I think that way too rich for a guy who led the AL in HRs allowed (40!) while allowing 24 home runs in his final 72 innings pitched yielding a 7.13 ERA. I'm thinking more of a 2 year deal with 2 options. Say 2/$32M with incentivized player options at $18M and $20M. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10094937-projecting-the-price-tags-for-top-mlb-free-agents-of-2023-2024-class

I would much rather resign Gibson than sign Giolito, especially to a multi year contract. 

44 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would much rather resign Gibson than sign Giolito, especially to a multi year contract. 

I would enjoy reading your reasoning for such a statement. 

To me, Giolito has much more potential upside than Gibson. But also may not be fixable. The large caveat for me if whether he can pitch like he did in 2019-2021. He's going to be 30 on July 14th. He's averaged 31.5 GS and 175 IP over the last 3 years. He's as durable as Gibson and a lot younger.

• Upvote 1

I do think Lucas Giolito is an interesting possible extension of the Lyles-Gibson legacy.    He has the long health track record of the first two.

He'd be a higher upside get for Elias rebuilding the Baltimore brand for Arms.    Lyles a D, Gibson a C, Giolito B upside.     Of course we're more likely to value bid as the Player is at a low point in the ebb and flow of their career.

It'll also be interesting to see if Kyle Gibson moves early-ish when the market opens.     The Elias marketing pitch to better pitchers will be enhanced if he can boast I got Kyle Gibson ~$30mm after getting Jordan Lyles $17mm.

Giolito for me is moldier but still has some of that Gerrit thing where I wonder if its a talented Arm that still hasn't been with an Org that knows how to get the most out of him.     His one spike year I recall reports he rebuilt himself with his high school coach or some such, which I interpret also as the White Sox being somewhat intellectually bankrupt, at least as far as how it seemed to him that winter.

I don't expect we'll Buy High against the market, so have generally removed Jordan Montgomery from the mental list.    His financial planner has been much too happy the last 1-2 months for Angelos' organization.

• Upvote 1

#30 on this list is Jordan Hicks. 

What if the O's trade Santander and use his proposed salary plus a bit more to offer Hicks a 1/$14m pillow contract to close. If you want to add an option, fine. But if Bowden is speculating his likely contract is 3/$30 and he's 27 years old, why not bet on yourself and join a likely playoff team that needs a closer?

58 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

#30 on this list is Jordan Hicks. 

What if the O's trade Santander and use his proposed salary plus a bit more to offer Hicks a 1/$14m pillow contract to close. If you want to add an option, fine. But if Bowden is speculating his likely contract is 3/$30 and he's 27 years old, why not bet on yourself and join a likely playoff team that needs a closer?

Kimbrel is a better investment for one year.