What's the most memorable HR you have ever seen in person?

TCAlumni9700

I have seen quite a few in my time. Eddie's 500th probably was the biggest "event" persay, but I think the most excited I ever got was Game 1 of the 96 ALDS against Cleveland:

I was working on the grounds crew at the time, and was stationed in the bullpen with one of my co-workers. Bottom of the 6th, we're up 4-3, when Bobby Bo CRUSHES a Paul Shuey fastball over the out of town scoreboard in right for a grand slam. I tell you, when he hit that thing, from the view I had, it looked like it was going to hit the warehouse. He hit it so high. You knew it was gone instantly.

Next thing I know, Arhur Rhodes is hugging me and the bullpen simply erupted. Elrod and Sammy Snider were jumping up and down, Benitez was yelling something crazy in Spanish, it was just an awesome sight to see 48,000+ on their feet in Baltimore cheering this team on. I miss that. We need to get it back.

So give me some stories y'all. :D

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seen Jim Northrup(for the Orioles) hit a 3-run pinch-hit homer off Joe Coleman of Detroit to win the game back in Ocober,1974 at Tiger Stadium and clinch a tie for first place. Bob Reynolds struckout Al Kaline(second to last game in his career) as he stood there like the house on the side of the road to end the game. The Yankees lost to Milwaukee that night and the Orioles clinched first. I celebrated by overdosing on White Castle cheeseburgers about 11:30pm that night.

Manny Ramirez's 500th Home run. I called the home run. Chad Bradford was called from the pen and he never gives up home runs because of his submarine pitching, but I could just feel that this was Manny's time so I told all my friends "this is it Manny is going to hit his 500th" and the very next pitch he did!

Cal's homer in the 2131 game.

Have to go with that one.

A close second would be Millar's walk off against Boston in 2007. The guy two rows ahead of me caught it.

I was also at the game where both Bonds and Palmeiro hit homeruns. I believe it's the only time in history that two guys with 500+ homers have hit them in the same game.

I've never been present for any historic homeruns but the one that sticks out to me was a jeffrey hammonds homerun in an afternoon makeup game (Eric Davis' return game) against the Indians that almost hit the back wall of the upper tier bullpen on the fly. It's by far the longest homerun I've seen in person measured at 460 ft. Sorry, that's kind of lame.

I can't tell you what game it was or who it was against because I was probably 10 years old but Raffy hit one over the score board in right field in the bottom of the 9th to win. The memory of him and his sweet swing just launching balls over the fence will always stick with me.

I've never been present for any historic homeruns but the one that sticks out to me was a jeffrey hammonds homerun in an afternoon makeup game (Eric Davis' return game) against the Indians that almost hit the back wall of the upper tier bullpen on the fly. It's by far the longest homerun I've seen in person measured at 460 ft. Sorry, that's kind of lame.

I worked that game and remember that one vividly too. That's one of the longest HR ever at OPACY. I believe Pedro Munoz of Oakland hit one that hit the ivy wall in the air.

Archived